Premed 101 Forums

Pediatric/IM entry into Cardiology

This might be a dumb question but does it matter which stream you enter into cardiology from? Would you specifically be considered as a pediatric cardiologist if you enter from Peds  or would you just be a regular cardiologist?

Also can someone comment on the job prospects for a Cardiologists in Canada? I know a lot of other competitive specialities have extremely desolate job markets, I was wondering if Cardiology was in the same boat.

Pediatric cardiology is completely separate from adult cardiology, if you did peds you would be a pediatric cardiologist. Some specialties (neuro? rheum?) have you write board exams for both adult and pediatric subspeicalties and you could do either. I don't know if cardiology is the same. The practice of pediatric cardiology is mostly around congenital heart disease, whereas in adults it would be mostly acquired.

4 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Pediatric cardiology is completely separate from adult cardiology, if you did peds you would be a pediatric cardiologist. Some specialties (neuro? rheum?) have you write board exams for both adult and pediatric subspeicalties and you could do either. I don't know if cardiology is the same. The practice of pediatric cardiology is mostly around congenital heart disease, whereas in adults it would be mostly acquired.

Ahh I see... Is pediatric cardiology an academic career path? I wasn't able to find a practicing pediatric cardiologist in my city, they were all researchers associated with the university.

Also I see that you are a Pediatric resident. If you don't mind me asking how do you find the residency so far?:D