Premed 101 Forums

Class schedule for year 1s due to COVID?

med_gods

Does anyone know how classes will be like due to COVID? I've been trying to find updates about it online but so far haven't had much luck. It's difficult to decide whether to make the move to Montreal given the current situation, especially if all classes will be held online for the term. Any insights will be much appreciated.

I'm in the same situation... I also have to move to Montreal, and have no clue how urgent it is. It sort of sucks to be stuck in this limbo.

The recent school-wide email said that:

Only approved necessary activities are currently allowed on campus; this includes essential and COVID-19-related research activities, as explicitly approved by Deans. As some on-campus research activities continue to gradually ramp up, McGill’s Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has begun looking at selectively restarting other on-campus operations and practical teaching activities that cannot be carried out remotely. A list of permissible activities will be provided soon.  However, please note that any other McGill-sponsored in-person activities or events—on or off campus—are cancelled until August 21

so I'm not expecting our orientation on August 18th to be in person. If I had to speculate (there seems to be a lot of that recently), I think certain activities (anatomy labs, maybe?) will eventually be phased to "in person" activities. This is contingent on the number of COVID case staying relatively low, obviously.

I thought about emailing, but I get the feeling the answer will be "we don't know yet, stay tuned!" 

They did post the courses you are supposed to register for on June 8th: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/2020_class_of_2024_registration_for_med1_students_engwebversion.pdf

21 hours ago, pnpclear said:

I'm in the same situation... I also have to move to Montreal, and have no clue how urgent it is. It sort of sucks to be stuck in this limbo.

The recent school-wide email said that:

so I'm not expecting our orientation on August 18th to be in person. If I had to speculate (there seems to be a lot of that recently), I think certain activities (anatomy labs, maybe?) will eventually be phased to "in person" activities. This is contingent on the number of COVID case staying relatively low, obviously.

I thought about emailing, but I get the feeling the answer will be "we don't know yet, stay tuned!" 

They did post the courses you are supposed to register for on June 8th: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/2020_class_of_2024_registration_for_med1_students_engwebversion.pdf

Did they ever send out an email about course registration? I don't think I ever received it... 

Hey guys, I have a question about course registration. It says "registration is NOT required for Small Group sections and Lab sections". 

Can anyone confirm if there are any courses in the table that we don't have to "register" for? Or are Small Groups and Labs not included in the table and we need to register for everything? I'm not sure about "Roles in interpro. teams" and "Reflection and Examination 1" because they have 0 credits. 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Medream97 said:

Hey guys, I have a question about course registration. It says "registration is NOT required for Small Group sections and Lab sections". 

Can anyone confirm if there are any courses in the table that we don't have to "register" for? Or are Small Groups and Labs not included in the table and we need to register for everything? I'm not sure about "Roles in interpro. teams" and "Reflection and Examination 1" because they have 0 credits. 

Thanks.

I tried to register anyway and it's not working lol, so I guess we don't have to!

I was also wondering if we were really supposed to register right now for summer 2021... because we can't, courses are not yet available for registration.

I'm surprised they did not send any email yet. No 2020 immunization form, no news regarding the BCLS that we cannot do for now, no facebook group, no reminder for registration... idk, it feels weird.

24 minutes ago, Mel96b said:

I tried to register anyway and it's not working lol, so I guess we don't have to!

I was also wondering if we were really supposed to register right now for summer 2021... because we can't, courses are not yet available for registration.

I'm surprised they did not send any email yet. No 2020 immunization form, no news regarding the BCLS that we cannot do for now, no facebook group, no reminder for registration... idk, it feels weird.

In the exact same boat. Was not able to register for Summer 2021, so I sent an email. Will update if they reply.

And yes, they are awfully quiet this year, especially given COVID and a lot of things that have changed.....

1 hour ago, Mel96b said:

1 hour ago, champagnepapi said:

In the exact same boat. Was not able to register for Summer 2021, so I sent an email. Will update if they reply.

And yes, they are awfully quiet this year, especially given COVID and a lot of things that have changed.....

The guide says that the UGME will take care of Summer 2021 registration (the form probably has a typo and said 2020 instead), so I wouldn't worry about it!

54 minutes ago, pnpclear said:

The guide says that the UGME will take care of Summer 2021 registration (the form probably has a typo and said 2020 instead), so I wouldn't worry about it!

I think that's for students admitted after July 17th. In Step 5 it says to select the correct term and it includes Summer 2021. Either way though you're right it's nothing to worry about for now!

20 minutes ago, Medream97 said:

I was able to register for every course in the table and for all three terms (including Summer 2021) this morning. I hadn't tried registering at all yesterday so I don't know if they fixed something or if there's another reason it's not working for some people.

I was able to register for Summer 2021 this morning too! They must've fixed it 

On 6/8/2020 at 6:56 PM, Medream97 said:

I'm not sure about "Roles in interpro. teams" and "Reflection and Examination 1" because they have 0 credits. 

Interprofessionnal teams happens only once per semester, you basically have a session where you learn how interdisciplinary teams work. If you do the 30 minutes assignement and if you're attending sessions you'll pass the course!

Reflection and examination are recap exams that you also only need to pass, though for this you'll need to prepare a little bit more! :)