Premed 101 Forums

Personal finances with a SO

I will be getting married right after second year. My SO currently works and has no intention of returning back to school. He is ok to offset some of our anticipated living costs, but I am genuinely curious how others in a similar situation handled finances. Is there any where I can get more info on splitting costs with a partner during med? 

1 hour ago, dopamineislife said:

I will be getting married right after second year. My SO currently works and has no intention of returning back to school. He is ok to offset some of our anticipated living costs, but I am genuinely curious how others in a similar situation handled finances. Is there any where I can get more info on splitting costs with a partner during med? 

Not really a "med" question at all to be honest; its more of a relationship question - and there's no "right" way. A good thing to do is to start, if you haven't already, discussing your finances and how you want to do things moving forward.   What works for once couple, doesn't work for another.  

Some colleagues had their finances such that their spouses paid for everything, since well they were the ons with positive cash flow. Others still kept things "50/50"  and paid their own educational costs with line of credits/student loans etc, until after they were done school and in residency training. 

Regardless of how you go about it, i would strongly recommend still maximizing government student loans - because usually that makes you eligible for bursaries (automatic from the govt, and as well consideration for school-based bursaries); as well as loan repayment programs if you do a rural rotation during residency for example, or work rurally for a bit after residency etc.   

14 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Not really a "med" question at all to be honest; its more of a relationship question - and there's no "right" way. A good thing to do is to start, if you haven't already, discussing your finances and how you want to do things moving forward.   What works for once couple, doesn't work for another.  

Some colleagues had their finances such that their spouses paid for everything, since well they were the ons with positive cash flow. Others still kept things "50/50"  and paid their own educational costs with line of credits/student loans etc, until after they were done school and in residency training. 

Regardless of how you go about it, i would strongly recommend still maximizing government student loans - because usually that makes you eligible for bursaries (automatic from the govt, and as well consideration for school-based bursaries); as well as loan repayment programs if you do a rural rotation during residency for example, or work rurally for a bit after residency etc.   

You are right - I think this may be in the wrong subforum. I posted a similar question in a personal finance forum and received some information there so I think I am good. Thank you for your advice!

47 minutes ago, dopamineislife said:

You are right - I think this may be in the wrong subforum. I posted a similar question in a personal finance forum and received some information there so I think I am good. Thank you for your advice!

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that - sorry!  I was more so encouraging you to not think of it as anything really related to "medicine" but more so about your relationship and your financial health :) the exact same scenario could be discussed if instead you decided to go back to school for something else, or if you decided to leave your job for a different career that sets you back financially, but develops personally etc etc.   Its as much personal finance, as it is relationship :)  Often people in your personal life don't discuss this, but i find having open-information relationships with close friends on how they do finances helps "normalize things".