Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
lefnalex

Changes to Admission Requirements 2020-2021

Recommended Posts

@William Osler up to what your interpretation on equity is. Ask U of T's equity office :P

11 minutes ago, William Osler said:

"If there is any reason why you believe your transcript does not reflect your true ability, please briefly outline the circumstances in the academic explanations essay."

This change rewards those who were more consistent academically (had 2 or less bad FCEs vs more than 2 bad FCEs). Isnt that equitable?

This is why there will be a large influx in academic explanations essays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

I am not sure if i quite get the changes.

So before used to be if you had full course load every year. They would drop 1 FCE from each year. For example, if I had 5 full year courses during my second year they would the lowest 1 full year course from my second year and 1 from each of the other years similarly.

Now they decide to only drop 2 FCE from the whole transcript (the lowest grades)?

Does this mean that those 2 FCE could be from the same year?

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LastOneStanding said:

Hey guys,

I am not sure if i quite get the changes.

So before used to be if you had full course load every year. They would drop 1 FCE from each year. For example, if I had 5 full year courses during my second year they would the lowest 1 full year course from my second year and 1 from each of the other years similarly.

Now they decide to only drop 2 FCE from the whole transcript (the lowest grades)?

Does this mean that those 2 FCE could be from the same year?

Thanks in advance!

Before it was 1 FCE for every year of full course load.  However, it did not matter from which year.  It was just your lowest FCEs.  The same principle applies here, but only up to 2 FCEs.  They can come from anywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. This new wGPA formula will only benefit those whose cGPA is already >3.9 without weighting. Hmm, I guess we'll see an even LARGER influx of Mac Health Sci matriculants, since those outside of it no longer stand a fighting chance of being on an even playing field GPA-wise. 

How unfortunate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, while I can certainly appreciate how this affects many of us negatively (myself included), I think we ought to reserve judgement until the rest of the admissions processes is revealed.  We know they're revamping their admissions system overall, and still have changes to be revealed.  They're having a webinar about the process on the 23rd, where I hope we will learn more.

Furthermore, while the wGPAs will drop, maybe the weight of GPA in the total score will come down as well.  It'd be very un-UofT, but what if they now just make a cutoff for pre-interview scoring à la Western?  I'd be surprised, but its not outside the realm of possibility.  Let's wait and see before we get too riled up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to webinar for anyone wondering:

https://facebook.com/events/s/2020-application-recap-session/2655762314679303/?ti=icl

 

They will be able to see your comments during the live webinar, so if you have any concerns definitely express them there. They will address them. You can make an alternate fb account if you want to stay anonymous.

It would be a good idea to raise questions regarding the extreme reliance on GPA over the MCAT, how to address those who will be severely impacted by the change in the weighing system, and why CASPer is not considered as a selection tool to allow a greater range in GPA competitiveness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do anyone have an idea if they will include CR courses into these 2 FCE?

If I have 2 credits of CR courses, I won't be able to remove any bad grades at all? (That starts to worry me a great deal...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, not me said:

Do anyone have an idea if they will include CR courses into these 2 FCE?

If I have 2 credits of CR courses, I won't be able to remove any bad grades at all? (That starts to worry me a great deal...)

CR courses will take up the 2 FCE room, unless its from winter 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 9:19 AM, bruh said:

Link to webinar for anyone wondering:

https://facebook.com/events/s/2020-application-recap-session/2655762314679303/?ti=icl

 

They will be able to see your comments during the live webinar, so if you have any concerns definitely express them there. They will address them. You can make an alternate fb account if you want to stay anonymous.

It would be a good idea to raise questions regarding the extreme reliance on GPA over the MCAT, how to address those who will be severely impacted by the change in the weighing system, and why CASPer is not considered as a selection tool to allow a greater range in GPA competitiveness.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 9:19 AM, bruh said:

Link to webinar for anyone wondering:

https://facebook.com/events/s/2020-application-recap-session/2655762314679303/?ti=icl

 

They will be able to see your comments during the live webinar, so if you have any concerns definitely express them there. They will address them. You can make an alternate fb account if you want to stay anonymous.

It would be a good idea to raise questions regarding the extreme reliance on GPA over the MCAT, how to address those who will be severely impacted by the change in the weighing system, and why CASPer is not considered as a selection tool to allow a greater range in GPA competitiveness.

Anyone know how to join the session? I tried the link but I don't see the live stream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you had to register for the session. I hadn't realized until this morning when I went on to their site to see where it was going to be streamed and saw the link to register :(

https://applymd.utoronto.ca/application-tips

2020 Application Recap Session

As we wrap up the current 2020 admissions cycle and plan for the upcoming 2021 admissions cycle, the MD admissions team invites you to join us during our annual Admissions Cycle Recap and Townhall Session on June 23, 2020 from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. EDT  to learn more about this current and future admissions cycles and share your feedback.

Click here to register for the 2020 Applicant Recap and Townhall Session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, I'm on the webinar now. It's a private zoom link and you need to enter your registration info and password upon entering, so I don't think it would be prudent to post it here. 

@goldenelephant I will ask your question

Also, gotta say, so far, they have not answered any sort of the questions we are hoping to get answered here. No mention of wGPA changes, Phase 3, etc. They are heavily filtering the questions and pretty much only answering surface questions. 

EDIT: Now they are talking about the changes :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...