Premed 101 Forums

Discord for Australian DDS/DDM Applicants

Hey folks!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a discord or any other form a chatroom for specifically those that are applying to Australian Dental Schools. Comment down below if you think you'd be interested. We can open it up to those that are applying this cycle(2021 intake) as well as the next(2022 intake) 

I am interested as well, and ya I got an invite for the CASPer assessment as well. Did you check the times on it, I did and the test will be at 3-4 AM! Doesn't look like they considered the change in time zones between Canada and Australia to much when picking test dates/times.

As an aside, what dental schools would be your top choices if you did get in?
I am mainly curious on your thoughts between University of Sydney and UWA.

6 hours ago, QBDent said:

I am interested as well, and ya I got an invite for the CASPer assessment as well. Did you check the times on it, I did and the test will be at 3-4 AM! Doesn't look like they considered the change in time zones between Canada and Australia to much when picking test dates/times.

As an aside, what dental schools would be your top choices if you did get in?
I am mainly curious on your thoughts between University of Sydney and UWA.

Hey I got the invite to. The times do suck! Mines at 8PM. Other one was 5AM.

My choices in preference are UWA > Melbourne > Syd.

Brutal! Not sure if the ethical half of my brain is even turned on during those hours.  I also had trouble understanding what the CASPer assessment is even used for. It’s not used in final rankings, but do you need to get like a minimum score on it to be considered? 

can you give me some insight into why you listed those schools in that order. I have no idea how to rank them

does anyone know when we would be hearing back from the three schools? My top choice is also UWA because it is in a city that has an industrial sector which means more experience with patients who have to come into the student clinic. Bigger cities cost more and less likely to see greater volume of diverse cases as a student in clinic.

9 minutes ago, A_K.Daniel said:

Does anyone know if Sydney uses rolling admissions like the US schools?

Also, I think Sydney cancelled interviews this year due to covid, can someone confirm this please? 

Hey! Based on OzTREKK, the dental admission officer who has helped with my application this year, Sydney is not rolling, so they hold onto everything until the deadline at the end of July and then assess all the applications they've received.

They've also cancelled interviews this year, so instead of their usual process which is 50% DAT/ 50% interview, they've now made it 100% DAT based, where they make a single list from all applicants, rank them from highest to lowest DAT (or equivalent exam) scores, and then ONLY do interviews if they have to break ties between equally ranked students where only one can receive an offer. 

Hope that helps! Happy to clear up anything else I know :)

23 hours ago, SamerR said:

Hey! Based on OzTREKK, the dental admission officer who has helped with my application this year, Sydney is not rolling, so they hold onto everything until the deadline at the end of July and then assess all the applications they've received.

They've also cancelled interviews this year, so instead of their usual process which is 50% DAT/ 50% interview, they've now made it 100% DAT based, where they make a single list from all applicants, rank them from highest to lowest DAT (or equivalent exam) scores, and then ONLY do interviews if they have to break ties between equally ranked students where only one can receive an offer. 

Hope that helps! Happy to clear up anything else I know :)

The way it was explained to me was that the gpa is used to break ties between applicants, I haven't heard anything about them interviewing for tie breaking, did you hear that from OzTREKK or USYD?

24 minutes ago, CAD-AUD said:

The way it was explained to me was that the gpa is used to break ties between applicants, I haven't heard anything about them interviewing for tie breaking, did you hear that from OzTREKK or USYD?

This is from the USyd Admissions Guide: “Offers will be made in sequence commencing with the applicant with the highest ranked score. Should it arise that applicants are ranked equally, the University reserves the right to use an additional selection tool, such as an interview or Situational Judgement Test (SJT). The University will give these applicants due notice of any additional requirements. If further separation is required, the applicants' GPA at the time of application may be used, at the discretion of the University.”

so they’ll rank by DAT score, then use interviews to break those ties, then if needed AFTER that, they will consider GPA to break a tie further! 

1 minute ago, SamerR said:

This is from the USyd Admissions Guide: “Offers will be made in sequence commencing with the applicant with the highest ranked score. Should it arise that applicants are ranked equally, the University reserves the right to use an additional selection tool, such as an interview or Situational Judgement Test (SJT). The University will give these applicants due notice of any additional requirements. If further separation is required, the applicants' GPA at the time of application may be used, at the discretion of the University.”

so they’ll rank by DAT score, then use interviews to break those ties, then if needed AFTER that, they will consider GPA to break a tie further! 

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of ties especially with something like the dat where most applicants are going to be between low-mid 20s for score

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, jess_01 said:

How is everybody preparing for the CASPer test? Any resource materials that you are using or can recommend to me? 

Has a facebook group been created too?

I will also be sitting for the casper test for UWA direct entry medicine.