Premed 101 Forums

+1 Application Timing After Leave

Hi all! Perhaps a simple question, but I haven’t been able to find the answer elsewhere: when applying for a +1, how does it work if you’ve taken time off during residency (ex. 6-month maternity leave) and finish residency later than the rest of your cohort? Do you still apply at the same time, but just start and end the +1 later (and is this a disadvantage for your application?), or do you have to wait for the following year to apply so you can start July 1?

Thanks very much in advance!

I think it really depends on the program and school. Look on the Carms R3 program description page for details. For ER, programs in my area expected us to start at least by P2-P3. I think it's because of their teaching schedules / common intro month scheduling. For shorter programs (<1 year) and programs with less rigorous teaching schedules, I would assume they are more flexible. It really is program specific.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:05 PM, F508 said:

I think it really depends on the program and school. Look on the Carms R3 program description page for details. For ER, programs in my area expected us to start at least by P2-P3. I think it's because of their teaching schedules / common intro month scheduling. For shorter programs (<1 year) and programs with less rigorous teaching schedules, I would assume they are more flexible. It really is program specific.

Thank you! :) 

• 2 months later...

This was posted a couple months ago but I thought I'd chime in;

Short answer: depends on the program. 

For *most* programs, if you finish between July and December, you can apply for a 'late start' but this isn't true of all of them. Some of the EM programs, for instance, specifically do not allow off-cycle starts whereas a couple do for July-Dec completions. 

I finish in March due to mat leave, so I'm just applying for the next year. I could have taken a shorter mat leave and finished in December then applied for an off-cycle start, but that actually would have limited the number of programs I could have applied to (plus I wasn't sure I wanted to apply for an R3 at the time.) It's better overall for me to apply to start on-cycle in July. It just means I have 3.5 months to fill with locuming which will be a nice way to pocket some cash before going back for another year at a resident salary. 

On 8/16/2020 at 11:18 PM, Birdy said:

This was posted a couple months ago but I thought I'd chime in;

Short answer: depends on the program. 

For *most* programs, if you finish between July and December, you can apply for a 'late start' but this isn't true of all of them. Some of the EM programs, for instance, specifically do not allow off-cycle starts whereas a couple do for July-Dec completions. 

I finish in March due to mat leave, so I'm just applying for the next year. I could have taken a shorter mat leave and finished in December then applied for an off-cycle start, but that actually would have limited the number of programs I could have applied to (plus I wasn't sure I wanted to apply for an R3 at the time.) It's better overall for me to apply to start on-cycle in July. It just means I have 3.5 months to fill with locuming which will be a nice way to pocket some cash before going back for another year at a resident salary. 

Thank you so much Birdy, very much appreciate you sharing your experiences with it.  Very best of luck with your applications! :)

• 3 weeks later...