Premed 101 Forums

2020 - 2021 New guidelines

According to the new McGill guidelines for 2020-2021 "1. Winter 2020 grades will not be considered in the academic evaluation (GPA, R score)" does this automatically apply or do they calculate the GPA with and without the winter 2020 semester to pick the best GPA? I have finished my 2020 semester with high grades and wanted it to count towards my GPA for McGill, but now I am confused about if my semester is even counted. PS: All my grades are on my official transcript as well.

Counting them does boost my GPA and not counting them lowers it, what do you all think?

I'm skeptical that they'd cut you a break on this since it seems to go against the spirit of their policy. It seems like it automatically applies, but who knows how they're going to format the academic workbook this year. If I were you I'd email them and let us all know!

True true. I emailed them already and will let you know! But it's a good idea if we all email them and make our voices heard, so I suggest everyone to email them.

Also, does anyone know if the GPA calculation is rounded up to 2 or 3 decimal points? For example, if a student has 3.937 is that rounded up to 3.94 automatically or kept at 3.937? I am wondering because on the website it only shows the average to 2 decimals, which makes me think they round it up but I'm not quiet sure.

4 minutes ago, zackattack881 said:

True true. I emailed them already and will let you know! But it's a good idea if we all email them and make our voices heard, so I suggest everyone to email them.

Also, does anyone know if the GPA calculation is rounded up to 2 or 3 decimal points? For example, if a student has 3.937 is that rounded up to 3.94 automatically or kept at 3.937? I am wondering because on the website it only shows the average to 2 decimals, which makes me think they round it up but I'm not quiet sure.

I believe McGill rounds down our GPA, like a 3.979 rounds to a 3.97 in McGill's transcript system. I don't know if the med admissions office does the same but I would think so in order to make it so that the GPAs calculated in the workbook is the same as the one calculated on the McGill transcript (for McGill applicants). 

34 minutes ago, verycaffeinated said:

I believe McGill rounds down our GPA, like a 3.979 rounds to a 3.97 in McGill's transcript system. I don't know if the med admissions office does the same but I would think so in order to make it so that the GPAs calculated in the workbook is the same as the one calculated on the McGill transcript (for McGill applicants). 

@zackattack881 On the McGill Minerva transcript, the GPA does not round up. 3.979 is 3.97 because the last number is basically cut off. On the MDCM/DMD Academic Workbook at McGill however, the number does round up to 3.98, yes. I'm not sure if once they "corroborate" the grades on the workbook what they round it to... only the Admissions Committee would have that answer, but it's extremely specific and I don't think they'd tell you.

3 hours ago, pharmyveg1 said:

I strongly urge you all to email admissions if you feel this is not fair!! 

Here is who I emailed: 

admissionsdean.med at mcgill.ca

admissions.med at mcgill.ca

SAME, please everyone email them to at least give us the option between including our winter 2020 GPA if it's more favourable for those applicants!

16 hours ago, jonasbrothers said:

For the prerequisites - what are we supposed to do if the labs are not being offered this semester? For example I haven’t taken orgo yet with lab but my university is no longer offering the labs for this sem

I asked them and they said we have to look for modifications during the summer on the website... I hope labs won’t be necessary ! 

• 3 weeks later...