Premed 101 Forums

U of T Dentistry Admission GPA Question

Hey all, 

I'm looking to apply to U of T dentistry. I understand that U of T is able to drop an applicant's lowest year GPA provided that it is not their most recent year. My question is, my first year marks were not great at all, while my second year marks were high.

Despite U of T saying they'll drop the lowest year (aka my first year), I can't help but have a fear that my first year GPA will affect my chances. I guess my question is, has anyone been admitted with a high GPA after their lowest year was dropped, despite that lowest year being quite low?

I've looked everywhere but I was unable to find anyone in the same boat as me. I'm just so afraid that my first year mistakes will be here to haunt me for the rest of my life. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks, guys. :)

" We use the OMSAS scale when calculating cumulative GPA for applicants. The GPA conversion table can be found on our website at: https://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/how-to-apply/application-page. All university courses are included in the calculation of your cumulative GPA including summer courses, graduate courses and online university courses. If you have completed four years of university or more we will drop your one lowest year only when calculating your GPA provided it is not your most recently completed year. We consider one academic year to be all the courses taken from September to the end of August. " - UoT website

Essentially you should just focus on finishing your 4 years and aim to get around a 3.94+. If they say they'll take off your worst year then they will; don't be paranoid about it.

7 hours ago, Castellar24 said:

" We use the OMSAS scale when calculating cumulative GPA for applicants. The GPA conversion table can be found on our website at: https://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/how-to-apply/application-page. All university courses are included in the calculation of your cumulative GPA including summer courses, graduate courses and online university courses. If you have completed four years of university or more we will drop your one lowest year only when calculating your GPA provided it is not your most recently completed year. We consider one academic year to be all the courses taken from September to the end of August. " - UoT website

Essentially you should just focus on finishing your 4 years and aim to get around a 3.94+. If they say they'll take off your worst year then they will; don't be paranoid about it.

Thank you Castellar24! It's reassuring to hear it from someone else. You're right - just got to keep my head in the game and hope for the best! :)

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2020 at 1:15 AM, Castellar24 said:

Is 3.94 the minimum GPA to be interviewed and accepted? 

14 hours ago, yampotato said:

Is 3.94 the minimum GPA to be interviewed and accepted? 

Nope, you can get an interview with lower GPA. Do keep in mind Toronto heavily weighs GPA/DAT as there is no ABS (autobiographical sketch). A 3.94 is just a safe bet to be around; the average GPA is around there year to year.

On 8/19/2020 at 7:02 PM, nfmp13 said:

I’m heading to UofT this September and I did not have a 3.94 average. I had a great DAT though. If your GPA is on the lower end, aim for a great DAT.

RT I had a 3.84 GPA (I was finishing a masters during my application year though) and a DAT score that was competitive but not amazing. Definitely possible, especially now with the supplemental stuff they've added to the application