Premed 101 Forums

28yr old Lab tech to MD? Do i stand a chance?

MT_rat

10 hours ago, Médicomage said:

If McGill accepts your second DEC (which I doubt now that I read this part of their website), you could always ask your API (individual academic advisor, I guess?) to add extra random classes to your schedule to meet the 6 classes/semester requirement. I was always able to do whatever I want with my schedule and course load in cegep by asking nicely to my API and providing proof of why I needed that. You could even redo your gen ed classes but they won't be funded by the government, so you'll have to pay the full price for them.

But that thing they told you about having to do an undergrad in 4 years is ridiculous. There's no bachelor degree in Quebec that are more than 3 years (except for like pharmacy, med and those professional degrees). So you'll have to go like in Ottawa to do a bachelor degree?!? And even there, they will credit you at least a year worth of classes, and you still won't have your 4 years because you will be able to finish this bachelor degree in 3 or 2 1/2 years.  I know that's what they say in their website, but I think they didn't think of the technical Dec+uni pathway.

also, you already have at least your 2 bios, because you have 2 101s classes in your DEC, which is the bio code.

To give you an idea, I never completed my pre-u DEC. I did one year, dropped off and went straight to OttawaU. I have technically a 120-credit bachelor degree, but I never studied 4 years in Ottawa U, because they gave me a year worth of credits just because I had cegep classes. So my bachelor degree was done in 3 years and I was eligible to McGill as soon as I did my prereq in sciences (in cegep, without completing my DEC).

Maybe i misunderstood - this is what i was told: "you will need to have an undergraduate degree, minimum 120 credits in a program of your choice, together with the basic sciences"

If you go on Concordia's website, let's say, and check for a BSc: for CEGEP students, most undergraduate programs finish in 3 years (90 credits) and some finish in 4 years (120 credits). But the 4 years one are none of the programs I'd take, say, Molecular biology BSc - that one is 3 years. I'm sure other Concordia students applied for McGill MD after? Not sure what I'm missing here.

39 minutes ago, MT_rat said:

Maybe i misunderstood - this is what i was told: "you will need to have an undergraduate degree, minimum 120 credits in a program of your choice, together with the basic sciences"

If you go on Concordia's website, let's say, and check for a BSc: for CEGEP students, most undergraduate programs finish in 3 years (90 credits) and some finish in 4 years (120 credits). But the 4 years one are none of the programs I'd take, say, Molecular biology BSc - that one is 3 years. I'm sure other Concordia students applied for McGill MD after? Not sure what I'm missing here.

I don’t think you misunderstood. I think they didn’t think technical dec graduates would consider med school. 

Like i’m pretty sure there’s no 120-credit bachelor degrees in like UQAT or UQAC or UQAR. Does that mean a technical dec graduate from these regions who cannot afford to move to montreal or outside quebec for a bachelor degree would never be eligible to the MDCM? That’s ridiculous. There’s something odd with their rule.

1 hour ago, Médicomage said:

I don’t think you misunderstood. I think they didn’t think technical dec graduates would consider med school. 

Like i’m pretty sure there’s no 120-credit bachelor degrees in like UQAT or UQAC or UQAR. Does that mean a technical dec graduate from these regions who cannot afford to move to montreal or outside quebec for a bachelor degree would never be eligible to the MDCM? That’s ridiculous. There’s something odd with their rule.

I'm not allowed to change my mind/career path essentially :lol:? Nurses and lab technologists complete a DEC that doesn't qualify as pre-university - but they're so much more prepared to be a well-rounded doctor than someone doing pre-uni DEC then medschool. There's also a level of maturity and discipline that come with age. I feel I'd need an appointment with an academic advisor that can look at my history and find a way for me to get into MD :mellow:

1 hour ago, MT_rat said:

I'm not allowed to change my mind/career path essentially :lol:? Nurses and lab technologists complete a DEC that doesn't qualify as pre-university - but they're so much more prepared to be a well-rounded doctor than someone doing pre-uni DEC then medschool. There's also a level of maturity and discipline that come with age. I feel I'd need an appointment with an academic advisor that can look at my history and find a way for me to get into MD :mellow:

I think they missunderstood you. What McGill requieres are certain pre-requisites in health science and a bachelor degree done at full-time. Usually the 4 year bachelor applies to people who don't have a cegep degree (ie all those outside Quebec), so maybe they suggested that while assuming that you will not go back to cegep.

On another note, a few people in my cohort started med school at 39, and good numbers started in their 30s. It's really up to you to decide if you want to go back to school for a good while!

7 hours ago, MT_rat said:

Honestly I think in this situation, you have 2 choices:

1) if you're okay with the idea of going to the French med schools (UdeM/Laval/Sherbrooke), redo your cegep, it'll be both easier and take you much less time compared to doing a bachelor's (you'd save about a year and a half to two years' worth of school), plus you'd be in a much less competitive applicant pool (and you might also qualify at McGill if you choose your classes carefully). These med schools should not have any restrictions regarding your situation (I'm 100% sure for Laval and Sherbrooke, but not so sure about Montreal so it'd be best if you can send Isabelle Tremblay an email on whether you qualify (her email's isabelle.tremblay.13@umontreal.ca)). 

2) if not, you can choose to do an undergrad, which takes more time and the applicant pool you'd be in will be more competitive, but you'd be 100% admissible in all of the aforementioned universities (including McGill), but if you're really determined to get into McGill this is also a good choice and will also work out if you're 100% invested!!

15 minutes ago, keipop said:

Honestly I think in this situation, you have 2 choices:

1) if you're okay with the idea of going to the French med schools (UdeM/Laval/Sherbrooke), redo your cegep, it'll be both easier and take you much less time compared to doing a bachelor's (you'd save about a year and a half to two years' worth of school), plus you'd be in a much less competitive applicant pool (and you might also qualify at McGill if you choose your classes carefully). These med schools should not have any restrictions regarding your situation (I'm 100% sure for Laval and Sherbrooke, but not so sure about Montreal so it'd be best if you can send Isabelle Tremblay an email on whether you qualify (her email's isabelle.tremblay.13@umontreal.ca)). 

2) if not, you can choose to do an undergrad, which takes more time and the applicant pool you'd be in will be more competitive, but you'd be 100% admissible in all of the aforementioned universities (including McGill), but if you're really determined to get into McGill this is also a good choice and will also work out if you're 100% invested!!

The more I look into it the worse it gets for McGill! I'd need basic science prereqs and some cegep classes Just to start my undergrad (math,physics etc). I never did those classes before lab DEC, they considered my 2 years of med as equivalence + admission test. 

My French is fine tabarn*k but not sure I'd be on my A game studying medicine in French :D I'd definitely be open for U Laval or U Montréal otherwise. I think I'm going to reach to those 2 as well. Thank you for all the time you invested in replying it means the world I feel a little less discouraged ^_^

On 6/16/2020 at 8:18 PM, MT_rat said:

The more I look into it the worse it gets for McGill! I'd need basic science prereqs and some cegep classes Just to start my undergrad (math,physics etc). I never did those classes before lab DEC, they considered my 2 years of med as equivalence + admission test. 

My French is fine tabarn*k but not sure I'd be on my A game studying medicine in French :D I'd definitely be open for U Laval or U Montréal otherwise. I think I'm going to reach to those 2 as well. Thank you for all the time you invested in replying it means the world I feel a little less discouraged ^_^

I am soooo sorry! We are terribly mis leading. Since you already have university credits from your 2 years in your european medical school, you’ll never be in the cegep applicants pool. 

plus, you probably already have a lot more of your pre-reqs from back there. You’ll have to send your science Courses description to med schools to confirm (the classes you did during your medical degree and the ones from your last year of high school if you cumulated more than 11 years for elementary and high school). You’ll also have to convert your grades and credits to the quebec system. If it’s ECTS, 6 credits=3 quebec credits.

since you’ll be considered a university applicant no matter what, you’ll have to have at least 60 quebec university credits (or the equivalent) granted in the same degree before being eligible to apply.

15 minutes ago, Médicomage said:

I am soooo sorry! We are terribly mis leading. Since you already have university credits from your 2 years in your european medical school, you’ll never be in the cegep applicants pool. 

plus, you probably already have a lot more of your pre-reqs from back there. You’ll have to send your science Courses description to med schools to confirm (the classes you did during your medical degree and the ones from your last year of high school if you cumulated more than 11 years for elementary and high school). You’ll also have to convert your grades and credits to the quebec system. If it’s ECTS, 6 credits=3 quebec credits.

since you’ll be considered a university applicant no matter what, you’ll have to have at least 60 quebec university credits (or the equivalent) granted in the same degree before being eligible to apply.

I don't see how my uni credits back from Europe count. I studied 2011-2013, it would be a decade old by the time i get into med here. I also wish they wouldn't count it towards a GPA because i was 18 years old and partied like a mofo so i was average - 80%, probably GPA 2.5 LOL. 

They never equivalated my studies here. I had to pass an interview and admission test to do biomed lab. I emailed UdeM so we'll see :huh:

Otherwise fine i might continue on to U de trois rivieres they offer a degree in Medical Biology & I get advanced credits with my DEC + finish in 2 years & a half.

10 minutes ago, MT_rat said:

I don't see how my uni credits back from Europe count. I studied 2011-2013, it would be a decade old by the time i get into med here. I also wish they wouldn't count it towards a GPA because i was 18 years old and partied like a mofo so i was average - 80%, probably GPA 2.5 LOL. 

They never equivalated my studies here. I had to pass an interview and admission test to do biomed lab. I emailed UdeM so we'll see :huh:

Otherwise fine i might continue on to U de trois rivieres they offer a degree in Medical Biology & I get advanced credits with my DEC + finish in 2 years & a half.

idk if they use a GPA system over there but here a 80% doesn't give you a 2.5, it gives you a 3.7 (A-)! If they do convert your percentage to a GPA here, you might be even better off declaring your university studies, because a 3.7 in medicine gives very good CRUs :) 

32 minutes ago, keipop said:

idk if they use a GPA system over there but here a 80% doesn't give you a 2.5, it gives you a 3.7 (A-)! If they do convert your percentage to a GPA here, you might be even better off declaring your university studies, because a 3.7 in medicine gives very good CRUs :) 

You really think? :eek: here are my transcripts for the 2 years i did! it amounts to 80.6% :unsure: https://imgur.com/a/WFmXi1H

I wonder really if they could be converted, it does mention credits next to it.