Premed 101 Forums
ToughBold

Advice for Non-Trad/Mature Applicant planning to write only the CARS Section for MCAT

I am looking to get some advice on my situation. I am a mature applicant, and because of full-time work in healthcare services/public health planning and family, I do not have much time to dedicate to studying for all the sections of the MCAT.

For this cycle, I was looking to apply just to Mac and Ottawa. Does anyone have any tips or advice on best materials to use for just writing the CARS section. I am conscious that I will likely have to re-write next year, so I want to make sure I have some materials for next write that best represents the exam. Any advice or guidance would be helpful! 

CARS is a difficult section to study for beyond doing a lot of practice. Some textbooks will try to give you some standard formula to tackle passages, but different people will use them to varying degrees of success. It is really a matter of experimenting and seeing what works for you.

With that being said, some commonly used materials include: Khan Academy passages, JW (doesn't seem to like me writing the full name) passages, and AAMC CARS Qpacks 1 and 2. Even though you aren't writing the whole exam, you might want to also get the AAMC full lengths 1-4 for additional practice.

Just don't use the other sections? sure you won't have an idea of how you did in cars if you end up re writing but the other sections (assuming you don't get into medschool this time around) will be fine to use in your prep.

@ToughBold Same boat here! I'm writing the MCAT before the app deadline just for CARS for McMaster (and also applying to NOSM)... mature student/non trad, full time work in healthcare, can't jam all the self-study in this round but hopeful to prepare and write the full length next year for the next round if this app cycle is unsuccessful!

I got the Princeton Review CARS book, and do the daily JW passages, AAMC CARS Q packs as well as Khan Academy CARS.  From the tons of research I've done, it's all practice practice practice. I have a decent reading comprehension level but have also bought a subscription to the Economist to keep working out my brain lol!

Wish you the best of luck.

@mdforme Thanks for the advice! I bought the AAMC Cars Q pack. Is the PRINCETON CARS book a good resource? 

I was looking to supplement at least 2 AAMC Tests + The AAMC CARS Q pack with the Exam Krackers book. Would you recommend the EK book? 

Glad I'm not the only mature applicant thinking about just writing CARS!