Premed 101 Forums

Heme/Med Onc (IM) vs. Rad Onc

JivTor

Long time lurker, first time postes. I'm in my second year of a three year program, and am trying to plan my residency options. I've settled on Heme/Med Onc/Rad Onc thus far (although a few other things are still under consideration). The first two are through the common IM stream, so I suppose it's a question of Rad Onc vs. IM for now. 

Unfortunately, with COVID limiting shadowing opportunities, I really haven't made my mind on going into IM+subspecialization or Rad Onc. Can any current residents/attendings elaborate on their experiences in these fields (or really anyone else, I'm desperate lol)? What does the regular workday look like for you? How does pay and work hours differ between these three specialties? What are the main things you would've liked to have known before you went into these field? 

Super appreciate the help. Thanks.

On 6/15/2020 at 11:15 PM, bearded frog said:

I've heard that there's no jobs in Radonc, but that could be changing.

I've always heard this as well but some posters say the market is turning around. I still would find it hard for Rad Onc to compare to the flexibility and ease of getting work as GIM though if Med Onc work is hard to come by.