Premed 101 Forums

MUN Med Matching

How does MUN fair in terms of competitive matching? Does it primarily cater to family/rural type stuff, or are there opportunities to specialize in a range of areas? Please don't interpret this post as me having a poor impression of MUN, I just am seeking some clarification since its a smaller school and I don't see a ton of discussion surrounding it :)

4 hours ago, garceyues said:

How does MUN fair in terms of competitive matching? Does it primarily cater to family/rural type stuff, or are there opportunities to specialize in a range of areas? Please don't interpret this post as me having a poor impression of MUN, I just am seeking some clarification since its a smaller school and I don't see a ton of discussion surrounding it :)

I am not a MUN student or resident, but I was accepted there and as I did consider going there, I spoke to a lot current students. The impression I got is that while MUN has lots of opportunity for someone to pursue their interest in rural med you’re not by any means limited to it. If you look at the CARMs data you’ll see a good portion of MUN med students match away, and listing a variety of specialties as their 1st choice. I think in 2020 it was like 93% of MUN students who got their first choice or something.

I get the overall impression that anyone who didn’t want to go rural didn’t have to, anyone who didn’t want to stay in Newfoundland didn’t have to and everyone had the opportunity to pursue what interests them.

4 hours ago, garceyues said:

@Anaik It is good to hear that there seems to be a lot of flexibility and diversity with where people choose to go! Would you say that there are some good research opportunities and chances to do electives in more competitive specialties at MUN itself? 

Research is part of the curriculum, and you essentially have to meet certain deliverables (lit review, REB application, proposal etc.) and while those are the bare minimum requirements, some chose to do more. One of the students I spoke to said they do have the opportunity to do electives in what they want, but during your first semester in first year you will be required to do fm (I think most schools make you do a fm elective at some point anyway). Afterwards you can apply for whatever your heart desires, and also you can shadow outside of electives (from what I've been told).

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2020_r1_tbl34e.pdf - showing you where everyone's first choice was for the 2020 match (FM was only 30% of people's first choice)

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2020_r1_tbl42e.pdf - showing you over half of the students did their residency outside of MUN

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2020_r1_tbl16e.pdf - showing you that 91% of MUN grads matched to their first choice.

Now to my knowledge there's no table showing how many from each school are in each speciality, but you can compare my first and 3rd link to get an idea of what that table might look like. 

On 6/15/2020 at 4:23 AM, garceyues said:

Hey! Current MUN Med student here, just wondering whether you mean in terms of MUN students matching outside of Newfoundland and Labrador or matching to a residency program at MUN in general from either MUN or another program! 

14 hours ago, PulsusParadoxus said:

Hey! Current MUN Med student here, just wondering whether you mean in terms of MUN students matching outside of Newfoundland and Labrador or matching to a residency program at MUN in general from either MUN or another program! 

Hey :)  I was referring to opportunities to apply for a broad range of residencies at MUN itself. Since MUN is smaller, I just wanted to get an idea of how broad the residency options are, as I have heard the idea of a "home school advantage" thrown around for residency- I am not sure if this is actually a thing though.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:30 AM, garceyues said:

Hey :)  I was referring to opportunities to apply for a broad range of residencies at MUN itself. Since MUN is smaller, I just wanted to get an idea of how broad the residency options are, as I have heard the idea of a "home school advantage" thrown around for residency- I am not sure if this is actually a thing though.

See image below, not many sub-subspecialty training programs. 

That said, MUN students have been successful at matching to those programs not offered at MUN through the years. There are also always a handful of people who match to MUN programs who did medicine elsewhere.  

195F361E-58AA-4161-B8B8-C0AD5794E35B.jpeg

8 hours ago, PulsusParadoxus said:

See image below, not many sub-subspecialty training programs. 

That said, MUN students have been successful at matching to those programs not offered at MUN through the years. There are also always a handful of people who match to MUN programs who did medicine elsewhere.  

195F361E-58AA-4161-B8B8-C0AD5794E35B.jpeg

I see, thank you for these insights! So while MUN has a smaller amount of programs itelf, the graduates from MUN still match to many competitive and diverse specialties across the country.