Premed 101 Forums

What to Buy

30 minutes ago, medhopeful1 said:

Hey guys! I was hoping someone could touch upon what some key things are that we should be buying for first year? Thanks!!

Following. Although 2 ideas I have so far: :D 

- Stethoscope.
- Comfy dress shoes + walking shoes for clinic and shadowing.

1 minute ago, initrams said:

Following!!! 
so far I've got:

Short white coat, stethescope, dress clothes, scrubs for anatomy lab, an ipad, a case to hold all my charging cables

Are you talking about the white coat that we get at the white coat ceremony? Also, good call on the ipad! I definitely think I'm going to purchase one as well. 

3 minutes ago, cubes868 said:

Are you talking about the white coat that we get at the white coat ceremony? Also, good call on the ipad! I definitely think I'm going to purchase one as well. 

Maybe?? I'm going to UBC and they instructed us to buy white coats- I don't think we have a white coat ceremony! 
Yeah everything I read made the ipad seem like a really smart investment. 

2 minutes ago, initrams said:

Maybe?? I'm going to UBC and they instructed us to buy white coats- I don't think we have a white coat ceremony! 

Ahh okay, that makes sense! At Ottawa we have a white ceremony that's why I asked. 

26 minutes ago, initrams said:

Are you getting an iPad Pro (also are you getting the 11 inch or the 12,9 inch version?)?

You will (I assume) receive your white coat from the school though I’m not sure when exactly if there’s no white coat ceremony, in Ottawa scrubs are not needed for anatomy lab since they have specific lab coats for that (though unsure whether they will have anatomy labs for the fall due to Covid). There is also a bulk order for stethoscopes done in the fall, so no need to buy one now. Key things to buy would be a working lap top (no tablets needed, but get one if you prefer and have the money), create a comfortable space to study, a few business casual clothes and closed-toe shoes for when preclerkship electives start back up. Don’t need anything too special at this point in my opinion.

Just now, m_jacob_45 said:

You will (I assume) receive your white coat from the school though I’m not sure when exactly if there’s no white coat ceremony, in Ottawa scrubs are not needed for anatomy lab since they have specific lab coats for that (though unsure whether they will have anatomy labs for the fall due to Covid). There is also a bulk order for stethoscopes done in the fall, so no need to buy one now. Key things to buy would be a working lap top (no tablets needed, but get one if you prefer and have the money), create a comfortable space to study, a few business casual clothes and closed-toe shoes for when preclerkship electives start back up. Don’t need anything too special at this point in my opinion.

Could you provide more details about the bulk order (what company is ordered,  is engraving possible, etc.)? Thanks!!

2 minutes ago, medhopeful1 said:

Could you provide more details about the bulk order (what company is ordered,  is engraving possible, etc.)? Thanks!!

The company was Littman, and yes I think engraving was possible though I don’t totally remember. There were options for about 10 different colours and we were told to get the cardiology IV model (though honestly I don’t think the model would make a huge difference).

15 minutes ago, m_jacob_45 said:

The company was Littman, and yes I think engraving was possible though I don’t totally remember. There were options for about 10 different colours and we were told to get the cardiology IV model (though honestly I don’t think the model would make a huge difference).

Ah I see, so most people get the cardiology IV model as opposed to the Classic III correct? Thanks for all your help!!

1 hour ago, m_jacob_45 said:

Will be interesting to see if business casual attire returns to medicine in the post-COVID era or if scrubs become the standard...

• 1 month later...