Premed 101 Forums

What to Buy

8 minutes ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Late to the game but do you guys think a 16 inch laptop would be too big for lectures or to carry around on the day (just thinking in case an iPad during the day time and the big laptop at home isn't enough)

Most people recommend getting the 13 inch, but I was thinking of getting a bigger one as well.. i'm not too sure!

2 minutes ago, sweaterweather said:

Most people recommend getting the 13 inch, but I was thinking of getting a bigger one as well.. i'm not too sure!

I ended up getting both 13 inch macbook pro and the 16 inch two weeks ago (Was gonna get a new laptop anyways) I have until tomorrow to decide which one I'm gonna return but yo the 16 inch is soo nice in terms of speakers and screen size (I can see the screen being useful for split screening notes) I'm just concerned it might be too big when sharing table space with people or when in lecture (and maybe ipad could complement the 13 inch's smaller screen)

4 hours ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

I ended up getting both 13 inch macbook pro and the 16 inch two weeks ago (Was gonna get a new laptop anyways) I have until tomorrow to decide which one I'm gonna return but yo the 16 inch is soo nice in terms of speakers and screen size (I can see the screen being useful for split screening notes) I'm just concerned it might be too big when sharing table space with people or when in lecture (and maybe ipad could complement the 13 inch's smaller screen)

The 16 does have its perks! The 13 might just be less of a hassle carrying around?

Let me know what you decide on! 

19 minutes ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Will do! Also when I return one of these today I'm thinking of picking up an iPad but now the question is similar in that do I get 11 or 13 inch LOL--I'm leaning towards the 11 inch if I will be using a laptop and only want it for note taking but I'll update on that choice too

If you buy it through Apple they have the student discount deal going on so you get Airpods with them. Also, one thing to consider is that the 13 inch Ipad is the most similar to the size of paper. However, I feel like if you have a laptop-ipad combo then the 11 inch would be enough. I think I'm going to go with the 11

1 hour ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Will do! Also when I return one of these today I'm thinking of picking up an iPad but now the question is similar in that do I get 11 or 13 inch LOL--I'm leaning towards the 11 inch if I will be using a laptop and only want it for note taking but I'll update on that choice too

I got the 12.9 inch and oh my god it is the best thing on earth. The screen is almost the same size as a paper and i want to go paperless. I wanted something that wasn't too small if I was writing/ studying from it.

12 minutes ago, MDLD said:

In coming Queen's here. Do you think the ipad is worth it? I have been staring at them alot haha.  Don't know much about them but do you think it a good time to get the newest 2020 version or should i go for an older model?

The new 2020 model is actually just an incremental update with some added cameras. Some techie actually analyzed the processor on them and found them to share significant similarities to the older model... So I'd save the money and go for the cheaper model. But those "bezelless" screens on both generations are NICE! 

15 hours ago, premed72 said:

Should I wait until mac uses their own CPU chip in their comps? I'm looking to buy a pro right now but idk 

What model are you looking to get? If it's the MacBook Air or Pro 13, those models will likely get the Apple chip end of this year or early next year. 

But the Pro 16 would take a bit longer due to compatibility issues with the GPU (probs in 1.5 years). 

21 hours ago, MDLD said:

In coming Queen's here. Do you think the ipad is worth it? I have been staring at them alot haha.  Don't know much about them but do you think it a good time to get the newest 2020 version or should i go for an older model?

I'm getting the 2020 pro, probably won't matter if you get the 2018 model, just make sure it supports apple pencil 2.

19 hours ago, premed72 said:

Should I wait until mac uses their own CPU chip in their comps? I'm looking to buy a pro right now but idk 

You can wait for it. If you think you will have a lot of use for it now then you can always get a 2019 model (apparently they made the keyboard better than the 2016 version) and then sell it once the new ones come out. Apple products have high resale value you probably can get very close to msrp. What is your current laptop?

6 hours ago, DrOtter said:

What model are you looking to get?

I think I want the pro 13. So perhaps I'll just wait until the new one is out. 

2 hours ago, UwoToUo said:

Apple products have high resale value you probably can get very close to msrp. What is your current laptop?

Yeah this is so true. I currently have an air from 2013. I hope I can get some $$ for a trade in haha 

But ya I think I'll just hold off on the purchase for now and wait until end of year 

4 hours ago, premed72 said:

I think I want the pro 13. So perhaps I'll just wait until the new one is out. 

Yeah this is so true. I currently have an air from 2013. I hope I can get some $$ for a trade in haha 

But ya I think I'll just hold off on the purchase for now and wait until end of year 

Do they even give you much when you trade in? Never done it but I feel like they'll pull an EB games and give you like $20 off and you won't get their "up to $xyz" unless its the newest one lol. When I was getting my 2017 mbp, I saw people selling like 2010 ones for 500, maybe facebook marketplace can give you a reference for yours to get more value out of it.

You may also want to compare 2020 to 2019 when it comes out, if you can get a more decked out 2019 one you can future-proof yourself better. Wish I did that.

7 hours ago, UwoToUo said:

Do they even give you much when you trade in? Never done it but I feel like they'll pull an EB games and give you like $20 off and you won't get their "up to $xyz" unless its the newest one lol. When I was getting my 2017 mbp, I saw people selling like 2010 ones for 500, maybe facebook marketplace can give you a reference for yours to get more value out of it.

You may also want to compare 2020 to 2019 when it comes out, if you can get a more decked out 2019 one you can future-proof yourself better. Wish I did that.

Try out this link for an estimate: https://www.apple.com/ca/trade-in/

On 8/2/2020 at 9:05 AM, Isgb2s said:

Try out this link for an estimate: https://www.apple.com/ca/trade-in/

I always see it says you can get up to $2460 but never saw the option to get the quote until premed72 said he got an appraisal lol. Put in my info and they would give me $570 for my 2017 mbp. Haven't really thought about upgrading but given I'd still have to spend 1k after trade-in for another laptop that is basically the same as my current one doesn't really seem worth. And true 260 for a 2013 model is still dece, a nice lil 15-20% off. Also as a side q when would you guys say it's time to upgrade?

1 hour ago, UwoToUo said:

I always see it says you can get up to $2460 but never saw the option to get the quote until premed72 said he got an appraisal lol. Put in my info and they would give me $570 for my 2017 mbp. Haven't really thought about upgrading but given I'd still have to spend 1k after trade-in for another laptop that is basically the same as my current one doesn't really seem worth. And true 260 for a 2013 model is still dece, a nice lil 15-20% off. Also as a side q when would you guys say it's time to upgrade?

Haha I'd say the best time to upgrade is right after a new generation has come out and you can grab the last ten for cheap. :P

But with the new Era of Apple silicons coming out, I'd wait til end of this year to see how those would perform if the need is not urgent.