Premed 101 Forums

Which medical schools will be starting virtual?

Calgary starts in a few weeks and it's all online. They are telling students to be in Calgary for September as small group stuff will begin then, but to expect learning online going forward. My guess is all lecturers online, labs etc in person until at least Jan. 

Seems like it'll be a mix for us.

"During fall 2020, UBC will primarily offer larger classes online with selected smaller classes conducted in-person, adhering to physical distancing and other public health requirements. We will maintain a clear focus on ensuring high-quality face-to-face instruction, where possible, and high-quality remote instruction. The Undergraduate Medical Education Program will be sharing updates about specific sessions in the coming weeks."

Western is saying blended- mostly online, but hoping to get us in for at least a couple in-person sessions a month starting September for clinical skills & anat. Orientation is looking blended as well

Edit: Forgot to add, but they're also planning on still making observerships possible

Edited by hbmed

29 minutes ago, cubes868 said:

I heard a rumour that Queens is currently talking with public health to see if they can do CBL groups of 4 people starting September (same stimulated patient for the entire year).

i guess they might have more luck since there are zero cases in kingston right now

48 minutes ago, Anaik said:

Looks like Dalhousie will be virtual in the fall, with the exception of clinical skills (those will be held in small groups). Unsure about electives.

"The majority of Med 1 Classes and tutorials will be delivered in online format." 

I interpreted this as fall and winter, but I hope you're right that it is just fall until restrictions ease up / vaccine becomes available...

1 minute ago, 88risingsun said:

"The majority of Med 1 Classes and tutorials will be delivered in online format." 

I interpreted this as fall and winter, but I hope you're right that it is just fall until restrictions ease up / vaccine becomes available...

I never meant to imply that winter was not included! 

1 minute ago, 88risingsun said:

LOL. Still, I hope it isn't.

Likewise.. I’m at the NB campus and NB has projected late 2020/early 2021 to be the time where things may get back to “normal”.. but I know we will probably follow suit with whatever Dal NS does. If you guys are home come winter, we probably will be too!

UofT mentioned during a webinar to 2T3s that the fall would be mostly online. It was unclear at the time if it was entirely online, or with “optional” in person experiences for things like anatomy. UofT seems concerned about a second wave and mentioned winter likely having online components as well. They mentioned that they’d give students ample warning to arrange living if they require us to be in person in Toronto. 

8 hours ago, icymeia said:

I believe Ottawa has stated they will be virtual but not announced he full details

Nope! They haven't told us yet. We are supposed to get an update this week or next week, and the last update we got said they are still exploring in-person, mixed, and fully online options

25 minutes ago, Psych said:

Nope! They haven't told us yet. We are supposed to get an update this week or next week, and the last update we got said they are still exploring in-person, mixed, and fully online options

My friend is going to Ottawa and said that on their website it says that all classes are online

5 minutes ago, icymeia said:

My friend is going to Ottawa and said that on their website it says that all classes are online

That's for undergrad classes, the faculty of medicine is separate and is not doing the same thing as the rest of the university

9 minutes ago, Psych said:

That's for undergrad classes, the faculty of medicine is separate and is not doing the same thing as the rest of the university

You are mistaken.  Check the "Weekly Updates" tab: 

"All classes are online, students must not attend in person."

Source:https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/updates-regarding-covid-19-ugme-program-activities

11 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

You are mistaken.  Check the "Weekly Updates" tab: 

"All classes are online, students must not attend in person."

Source:https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/updates-regarding-covid-19-ugme-program-activities

Interesting- while you may be right, I would hesitate to go off of one line on their website when incoming students have not received an official email from the school. Note that it also says “Please note that all official communications regarding UGME curricular activities, cancellations, status reports, and updates will be sent by the UGME Office only.”

I would hold out for official notice from the school before being 100% sure that the website is entirely accurate. I find it strange that if they knew everything was online 5 days ago, they haven’t sent an email to the class yet. And even if lecture classes are online, we don’t know anything about electives, clinical skills, labs, etc. Either way, I’m sure we’ll know soon!