Premed 101 Forums

Western Winter 2020 GPA

Can someone please clarify? I wanted to use my 3rd and 4th year for my GPA in the next cycle. My 4th year was the 2019-2020 year. The admissions website says they will accept the Fall 2019 grades, but what does that mean exactly? Are they counting Fall 2019 as a full year? Do they take a winter term from another year or something to make a full year? Will my application GPA be the avg of full 3rd year + fall 2019? I’m really confused. I just want to know what exactly I will need to present for my GPA. Appreciate any insight!

The admissions website seems fairly clear about this:

“If you are presenting the 2019-2020 academic year affected by Covid-19 as one of your academic years for GPA consideration, all of the following must be met:

• You must have completed 5 full or equivalent courses (minimum 30 credit hours) of which 3 full-course equivalents (18 credit hours) must have a published academic level at, or above, the year of study.
  • GPA will be calculated on grades from the fall 2019 semester only. Due to the transition of many universities to pass/fail or credit/no credit, grades from the winter 2020 semester will not be used in the calculation of GPA in order to ensure a fair assessment for all candidates.
  • Only one full or equivalent pass/fail course (2 half courses, 6 credit hours) will be permissible in the fall 2019 semester.”

Seems like, provided you meet the requirement to use that year’s grades, the gpa is calculated using the fall term alone.