Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa wGPA Calculation Policy Changes

Take a peek at the new policy (below) versus what was historically the case (posted lower down). Differences are bolded. The long and short is no more weight will be given to the most recent years. While the statement seems to rule out 3rd year applicants, the FAQ has been updated to reference cGPA and notes that 3rd years are still eligible. HOWEVER, I think this will end up disproportionately hurting 3rd year applicants and 4th year applicants since they won't be able to have more weight added towards (Typically better) later years to compensate for a bad 1st year, while graduated students will be able to automatically have the 1st year dropped. Thoughts? At the least, I'd imagine their average GPA drops a bit. 

https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/excellence-marks

Each year, a minimum cumulative grade point average (cGPA) is set for the current application pool. The required minimum cGPA is 3.50/4.00 and upwards according to the following list of categories (not necessarily in this order):

• Consortium national de formation en santé (CNFS) 
  • Military Medical Training Program (MMTP) - Canadian Forces
  • Social Accountability Initiative (varies according to the different geographical status)
  • Indigenous Program
  • Francophone stream (varies according to the different geographical status) 
  • Anglophone stream (varies according to the different geographical status)

These categories reflect the mission statement of the Faculty of Medicine. The autobiographical sketch and the permanent address listed on the application form will be used to determine the geographical status of the applicants.  Applicants may be asked to provide evidence of geographical status.

Candidates who meet the required minimum average set for their category will see their application advance in the selection process and those who do not meet the minimum cut-off will not advance further. The minimum cGPA cut-offs are determined by the quantity and the quality of the applications that we receive.  Candidates who would like to learn the cGPA cut-off for their category are invited to contact the admissions office at admissmd@uottawa.ca

When calculating the school grade point average to assess excellence in marks for admission to the MD program, we will use the cumulative grade point average (cGPA) based on the applicants most recent three years of full-time (5-courses per semester per year) undergraduate studies completed towards a bachelor’s degree in any recognized University. The cGPA will include all full-time courses taken during the regular academic year (Fall and Winter semesters) AND individual courses taken during the summer semester during that period. Marks obtained in an academic year where a candidate has completed a semester (or full year) abroad as part of an exchange program will not be included in the cGPA calculation.

In order for the academic year to count towards the cGPA calculation, a maximum of one pass/fail graded course per semester may have been completed in accordance with the five courses per semester each year requirement.  Therefore, an academic year in which more than one pass/fail graded course was taken in one semester is not considered in the cGPA calculation. On-line courses taken within the most recent three years of full-time study, which is used to calculate the cGPA, will be included in the assessment. Any on-line courses taken outside the most recent three years of full-time requirement will not be included in the cGPA.  Prerequisite courses with the minimum grade of B (equivalent to 70% at Cegep) completed outside of the most recent three years will count towards fulfilling the prerequisite credits, however, the grades will not count towards the cGPA.

Each year, a minimum weighted grade point average (WGPA) is set for the current application pool. The required minimum WGPA is 3.50/4.00 and upwards according to the following list of categories (not necessarily in this order):

• Consortium national de formation en santé (CNFS) 
  • Indigenous Program
  • Francophone stream (varies according to the different geographical status) 
  • Anglophone stream (varies according to the different geographical status)

These categories reflect the mission statement of the Faculty of Medicine. The autobiographical sketch and the permanent address listed on the application form will be used to determine the geographical status of the applicants.  Applicants may be asked to provide evidence of geographical status.

Candidates who meet the required minimum average set for their category will see their application advance in the selection process and those who do not meet the minimum cut-off will not advance further. The minimum WGPA cut-offs are determined by the quantity and the quality of the applications that we receive.  Candidates who would like to learn the WGPA cut-off for their category are invited to contact the admissions office at admissmd@uottawa.ca

The mark used at the various steps in the selection process is the weighted grade point average (WGPA), the calculation of which is calculated based on the applicants most recent three years of full-time undergraduate studies completed towards a bachelors degree in any recognized University. Marks obtained on supplementary courses taken outside the usual academic session or during a summer session will not be included in the WGPA calculation.  Marks obtained in an academic year where a candidate has completed a semester (or full year) abroad as part of an exchange program will not be included in the WPGA calculation.

In order for the academic year to count towards the WGPA calculation, a maximum of one pass/fail graded course per semester may have been completed in accordance with the five full-year courses/year requirement.  Therefore, an academic year in which more than one pass/fail graded course was taken in one semester is not considered in the WGPA calculation.

A candidate who has completed only two years of full-time undergraduate studies, but is registered in third year of full-time studies at the time of application, will have the second year marks counted times two and the first year marks times one. Marks obtained for courses completed during the current application year will not be used to determine which candidates will be invited for interviews.

***The wGPA Calculation examples***

5 minutes ago, Failure said:

To summarize, if I read it correctly, it means that the new GPA calculation is just a sum of your recent three full-time years, and no longer the 1x, 2x, 3x weighting for the wGPA.

Someone correct me if I am wrong :'(

Yup, looks like it.

I wonder if anyone would potentially benefit from this change? For example, UofT's new wGPA change seems to benefit those who already had a strong cGPA (>3.9) without any courses removed.

3 minutes ago, BBALLCBMJ said:

Yup, looks like it.

I wonder if anyone would potentially benefit from this change? For example, UofT's new wGPA change seems to benefit those who already had a strong cGPA (>3.9) without any courses removed.

Well similar to uoft, I think Ottawa moving to rewarding consistency with this move... 

It will definitely affect those who could rely on the 2x and 3x weighing on those senior years to outweigh a lower junior year. 

On top of that, I wonder how the cGPA is going to be affected now that Ottawa will also include distance education courses into the recent 3 year cGPA

4 minutes ago, OnePoundFish said:

I think something even crazier in the new update is that it has to be 5 courses / semester. So you can’t be taking 4 courses during a semester and complete the missing course in the summer, or else that year would be excluded. 

I think they kept the 4 course per semester given if the additional one came in the summer or another year. It’s still present under eligibility criteria 

full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) courses per semester is taken is accepted and counted in the cGPA calculation only if the missing course/unit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course. Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted and the mark obtained is counted in the calculation of the cGPA if completed during the last 3 years of full-time undergraduate studies leading to a bachelor’s degree. Any year with less than four courses per semester will not count as a full-time year of study.”

Say I graduated this year, and I am currently taking 3 spring/summer courses as a continuing ed student, do you guys think these courses would would count towards this cGPA? Man I hate that I have a C in my second year and was hoping to have it weighted down (as per old wGPA) if I have to reapply this year :( Oh well

23 minutes ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Say I graduated this year, and I am currently taking 3 spring/summer courses as a continuing ed student, do you guys think these courses would would count towards this cGPA? Man I hate that I have a C in my second year and was hoping to have it weighted down (as per old wGPA) if I have to reapply this year :( Oh well

Hey so sorry to hear that. I'm keeping my figures crossed that you'll get in this year!

But in the off off chance that you needed to reapply, I really think that we'd see a GPA distribution more like that of McMaster and your GPA even with a C will not disadvantage you as much, since my feeling is that lots of people take time to adjust to their undergrad and the average GPA will definitely shift backwards with cGPA being used.

Man even the ABS constriction too (lol ECs used to be what would salvage/caused my imperfect GPA), guess I gotta carefully choose what to include in this limit.

Wish when schools make such major changes that they could provide a ~3 year transitional grace period before it's implemented so people can plan accordingly or know what to expect

Best of luck to everyone! Hopefully the changes work in our favour

32 minutes ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

My interpretation is no, because the summer term in your final year isn't a part of your progress towards a "bachelor's degree." But, I can see how this is confusing though because in the "excellence of marks" section, they say they include all summer courses within the recent full-time years used in your cGPA. Think you might have to ask admissions on this one.

2 minutes ago, AB27 said:

I hope they'll allow us more space to talk about our top 3 rather than just mark them

I hope so too, however, it definitely won't be like the top 3 ABS essays they used to have since we have to select top 3 in each category of the ABS. My confusion is the maximum 18 activities part. Isn't there only 5 sections on the ABS???? 5x3 = 15??

2 minutes ago, Failure said:

I hope so too, however, it definitely won't be like the top 3 ABS essays they used to have since we have to select top 3 in each category of the ABS. My confusion is the maximum 18 activities part. Isn't there only 5 sections on the ABS???? 5x3 = 15??

Maybe the "other" category counts?

7 minutes ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Maybe the "other" category counts?

Ahhhh, I forgot about the others section!! I was told by admissions traditionally they just ignored the others section because verifiers were optional for that section in OMSAS. I wonder if they'll consider it now.