Premed 101 Forums

Online Fall Classes?

• 2 weeks later...

"All of our lectures and small group sessions (including Discovery Learning, Team Based Learning, etc.) will take place virtually. We will work hard to build community and ensure you have a small group of people who you interact with regularly for the first few months of medical school, which we hope will help you get oriented and make connections with some of your classmates. We are working with our faculty to develop engaging and interactive online content that will be a mixture of synchronous (live) and asynchronous (recorded) sessions. We are not anticipating that you will need to be on campus for any in-person sessions in the fall term.

Dr. Tracey Hillier

Two emails were sent to your uAlberta accounts!

With all of the classes and components being done online, I’m wondering about how labs will work...I was really looking forward to anatomy labs! And whether we will be allowed to shadow? But we should be getting a first year program document soon! 

Regardless, I’m so excited to start!!

8 minutes ago, coffeeandmed said:

Two emails were sent to your uAlberta accounts!

With all of the classes and components being done online, I’m wondering about how labs will work...I was really looking forward to anatomy labs! And whether we will be allowed to shadow? But we should be getting a first year program document soon! 

Regardless, I’m so excited to start!!

I was told that anatomy doesn't start until Winter by a friend of mine in the program, which is likely why we don't have any in person stuff for Fall! And for shadowing, I spoke with the Admissions office the other day and they have heard that shadowing will re-start in August.

This is a bit disappointing but understandable and at least somewhat expected. As an OOP who is locked into being in Edmonton at the start of the fall semester its tough, but it also means I can come back home anytime for the holidays and be all set up for what will hopefully be different circumstances in the winter semester. I assume there is a bunch of 2024's from Edmonton or who will be living in the area regardless of the virtual semester. Maybe we could come up with our own safe ways to get together for study sessions or just general social time so we can get to know each other better  :D

1 hour ago, Dr. House's Good Leg said:

This is a bit disappointing but understandable and at least somewhat expected. As an OOP who is locked into being in Edmonton at the start of the fall semester its tough, but it also means I can come back home anytime for the holidays and be all set up for what will hopefully be different circumstances in the winter semester. I assume there is a bunch of 2024's from Edmonton or who will be living in the area regardless of the virtual semester. Maybe we could come up with our own safe ways to get together for study sessions or just general social time so we can get to know each other better  :D

I’m all for that!! I would love some chill cafe study sessions to get to know everyone.