Premed 101 Forums

Effect of failed CEGEP class on Mcgill undergrad admissions?

Hi,

I was wondering if McGill cares whether a course was failed once or not for science undergrad admissions (not Med-P). I failed mechanics the first time due to skipping class, but I got really high marks once I re-did it. Will McGill only look at my overall and core r-score or will they consider individual courses? Next winter, I'll be applying to some science majors such as CS/Bio, Math/Bio and a few more (I will also be pre-med :) !), and the r-score cut-offs are dangerously close to my current r-score so I wouldn't want the fact that I failed that class to be another disadvantage... Also, should I retake passed classes such as Cal 1 and Cal 2 in an attempt to raise my r-score or is it not worth it? 

Lastly, does McGill care about improvement at all? My first two semesters were kind of bad, but this past year (I'm in a 3-year program) I have managed to drastically raise my r-score and be on the honour roll twice, and I definitely want to do it next semester as well (it will be the last semester before I apply). I'm not sure whether that's worth something or nothing at all. 

Anyway,

please let me know! 

10 hours ago, bubbly117 said:

Hi,

I was wondering if McGill cares whether a course was failed once or not for science undergrad admissions (not Med-P). I failed mechanics the first time due to skipping class, but I got really high marks once I re-did it. Will McGill only look at my overall and core r-score or will they consider individual courses? Next winter, I'll be applying to some science majors such as CS/Bio, Math/Bio and a few more (I will also be pre-med :) !), and the r-score cut-offs are dangerously close to my current r-score so I wouldn't want the fact that I failed that class to be another disadvantage... Also, should I retake passed classes such as Cal 1 and Cal 2 in an attempt to raise my r-score or is it not worth it? 

Lastly, does McGill care about improvement at all? My first two semesters were kind of bad, but this past year (I'm in a 3-year program) I have managed to drastically raise my r-score and be on the honour roll twice, and I definitely want to do it next semester as well (it will be the last semester before I apply). I'm not sure whether that's worth something or nothing at all. 

Anyway,

please let me know! 

You CAN'T retake passed class as a cegep student, you would have to take these classes way after as a continuing studies student (and you would have to convince academic advising to let you do that!!!) And no they only consider your overall and math/science R scores, they don't look at classes individually... the only disadvantage you might have with a failed class is a lower overall R score, your failed class should not be able to impact you in any other way!