Premed 101 Forums

Transferring from FM to IM

• 8 months later...

10 minutes ago, PlasticSurgery said:

Does anyone have experience transferring from IM to FM?

haha...I am currently thinking of transferring FM to IM. I heard that there is residency transfer process that allows you to do that.  I have met a resident who did that in my school. He applied in January. In  April he got interviews. After the interviews, he did 2 months of electives and matched to IM starting in July :)! I am sure something similar can happen from IM to FM.

1 hour ago, lovemedicinesomuch said:

haha...I am currently thinking of transferring FM to IM. I heard that there is residency transfer process that allows you to do that.  I have met a resident who did that in my school. He applied in January. In  April he got interviews. After the interviews, he did 2 months of electives and matched to IM starting in July :)! I am sure something similar can happen from IM to FM.

Sounds like he re-applied in second round of CaRMS? Unfortunately there were no second round IM spots this year and that trend is likely to continue which will make that route exceedingly competitive. There is a PGME transfer program but again transferring is super uncommon (~1.5% as per latest data)

Just now, bearded frog said:

Sounds like he re-applied in second round of CaRMS? Unfortunately there were no second round IM spots this year and that trend is likely to continue which will make that route exceedingly competitive. There is a PGME transfer program but again transferring is super uncommon (~1.5% as per latest data)

no it's a province where transfer are easier to happen!

• 1 year later...