Premed 101 Forums

Transferring from psychiatry to family medicine

Anyone with experience of this, or know someone who has transferred? Wondering about how transfer credits might work between these programs. Psych is very medicine-heavy in first year (EM, 2 blocks IM, hospitalist, palliative, neuro) and I'm trying to get a sense of how many of those rotations might be honoured by the FM program of transfer. Just trying to get an idea, I know it is likely program-dependent. Thanks.

Typically you would only get credit for transferable rotations, so say you did an IM rotation in first year psych and the FM program also had an IM rotation you could get credit for that but if the FM program only had one block of psych then you would only get one block of credit for all the psych rotations you did in first year.

On 6/21/2020 at 12:23 AM, Ddx said:

Is there a reason you are wanting to switch?

I was incredibly torn before/during/after CaRMS because of a true love of both areas of medicine. I'm finding myself feeling more challenged by the residency length than I expected to - I'm at a stage where I am simultaneously having a family so there are a lot of factors to consider - and given I was so invested in both, factors like this end up having a lot of weight.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:38 PM, bearded frog said:

Typically you would only get credit for transferable rotations, so say you did an IM rotation in first year psych and the FM program also had an IM rotation you could get credit for that but if the FM program only had one block of psych then you would only get one block of credit for all the psych rotations you did in first year.

That part I'm aware of, but I find that the same rotation can be a fair bit different for two PGY-1s depending on what their home program is. Wondering if the expectations at the end of a given rotation e.g., IM are different depending on if you are in psych vs. family - knowing family docs may end up as hospitalists for example. So I could see a program saying essentially yes, you completed this rotation on paper but we have some objectives for it that you would not have covered and thus it should be repeated.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:39 AM, Hanmari said:

I know someone who did that transfer and from their CPSO profile it seems they only got ~2 months credit (i.e. finishing their FM residency in May of their 2nd year, as opposed to July)

Thanks for this! Do you know how far they had gotten when they made the transfer?