Premed 101 Forums

When do most ppl have time to study in clerkship?

As people mentioned whenever you have time. Breaks in between patients, post-call days, weekends. Honestly, clerkship studying is a good preview of what you'll need to do during residency to keep up. The studying gets more intense on top of more intense responsibilities.

I'd usually bring my iPad with me. Mileage varries but for non clinic based rotations you can usually get some reading done during the day. Obviously this all depends on your efficiency. People always say CTU is super busy but tbh I found it to be the chillest rotation. Even when you get assigned 8 or 9 patients, if you do stuff efficiently (ie see all your patients (writing urgent orders as you go), do order and finish notes while waiting for a cosign), you actually end up having a lot of free time to study.

I always tried to extend my day by an hour or so depending on when I finished on CTU. If I got out of there by 5, I'd stay at the hospital and study for an extra hour or two before going home. If I finished at 4, maybe 2 or 3 hours. That way, when I got home, I'd actually be able to chill.