Premed 101 Forums

Question about master students applying to MD

Hello, I am entering my first year of my two year research-based masters this year, and was wondering which medical schools I would be able to apply to. I know some medical schools look down on this, but I've heard others don't. I'm finding it hard to navigate and look through websites so if anyone has gone through this, please let me know. My stats let me apply to Queens, Western, McMaster, UofT, Ottawa, and UBC, so information on these schools would be very much appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you. 

You can apply to Queens, McMaster and Ottawa. Queens will give you the option of deferring your offer in order to finish your masters. However, I would caution you that this would be quite unprofessional and disrespectful to your advisor. Is he or she aware that you are applying? Just some food for thought! Good luck. 

UBC, Western and U of T both require you to finish your masters in order to start and be accepted. 

To add to the above point you should definitely talk to your advisor before applying to make sure they’re ok with it. In addition to being disrespectful and such to the research team and department, academia, especially in Canada, is a small world. If you happen to piss off the wrong people (not even necessarily just your advisor, but a department chair, etc) it’s conceivable it could come back to bite you down the road. I was always surprised how fast news travelled through a department about things like this.

I will not recommend you to do this. As @TheFlyGuy has said, if you piss off the wrong people, it will bite you. For example, if your PI or someone in that department is a clinician scientist, etc, they could be in charge of residency admission. You leaving masters would be a valid reason for them not admitting you to residency in the field that the individual is in charge of, its unprofessional and disrespectful. Medicine is a small world, which is heavily linked with research. Don't tarnish your future career just to get in 1 year earlier. I doubt your department will be fine with you leaving Masters after one year, since they will invest money into your research, which will be incomplete?

Ottawa and McMaster allows you to leave Masters.

I was in your position a few years ago. I had a good convo with my supervisor and told them my intentions. They ultimately did not allow me to apply because they truly are investing time and money in you. No one was salty about the encounter, I think they respected my honesty. My point is that it is prob wise to sit down with them and ask. Some PIs are chill but others arent. It's best to be on the same page as your PI throughout a masters. Itll ease alot of stress. Believe me 

It’s totally possible. Make sure to talk to your supervisor about it and get their blessing. Medical schools is hard to get into and you deserve to take every chance to apply and get in. One of my good medical school friends only completed 1 year of a 2 year research masters.