Premed 101 Forums

Proof of enrollment for LOC

I am meeting with a Scotia advisor tomorrow to open up a LOC, who asked me to bring a proof of registration/enrollment. I will be attending uOttawa, but they did not give me an "official" registration letter other than the congratulatory email and the list of things I should get done. Anyone know what to bring to the bank?

To get an enrollment letter classes will need to have started so unfortunately, unless you can somehow convince the bank to allow you access to the funds beforehand (typically if you have a lot of collateral or something, which is obviously rare), you won't be able to access to the LC money until then (or so I was told anyways) and will have to use other funds to get by. It's kinda crappy but sadly not much we can do about it

20 minutes ago, SnowmanTheSWOMEN said:

Ohh so I can still set up a LOC, just not access it? What if I need the fund before August?

Hey Im in your class and I met with a scotia advisor last week, so I'll tell you what you can expect. Your advisor will not need the proof of enrolment yet, but bring your letter of acceptance, and they will go over the LOC in detail at this stage. You can get the paperwork in to get the LOC approved at this stage, and that takes like 1-2 weeks. Proof of enrolment is needed after to access funds like others are saying but you can still meet with a representative and it doesnt impact your initial meeting at all. My advisor went over 4 different ways to confirm enrolment, including signing into your school account and showing him something that says you're in the program or paying for the tuition with your advisor present. So there are workarounds when we get our uOzone accounts which I think would be before August.

1 minute ago, WuhanClan said:

Hey Im in your class and I met with a scotia advisor last week, so I'll tell you what you can expect. Your advisor will not need the proof of enrolment yet, but bring your letter of acceptance, and they will go over the LOC in detail at this stage. You can get the paperwork in to get the LOC approved at this stage, and that takes like 1-2 weeks. Proof of enrolment is needed after to access funds like others are saying but you can still meet with a representative and it doesnt impact your initial meeting at all. My advisor went over 4 different ways to confirm enrolment, including signing into your school account and showing him something that says you're in the program or paying for the tuition with your advisor present. So there are workarounds when we get our uOzone accounts which I think would be before August.

Thank you so much! Did you meet with an advisor in your home town or in Ottawa?

43 minutes ago, SnowmanTheSWOMEN said:

I am meeting with an advisor in my home town. Do I just call Kyu Tompkins out of my own accord or should I ask for a referral?

kyu.tompkins@scotiabank.com

You can email him! I just emailed him randomly and he set up a phone interview with him and took time to answer any questions and explain the LOC basics with Scotiabank. 

2 hours ago, SnowmanTheSWOMEN said:

Thank you so much! Did you meet with an advisor in your home town or in Ottawa?

I met with someone in my home town (Markham). I would recommend going in person to discuss this as it would be a 45 min meeting and you can properly meet the person that will be advising you for the next 6+ years (including residency). You can phone the number on the med student LOC page and request a meeting with a branch manager. It's a start of a business relationship and you should be comfortable with your advisor, being able to ask questions freely, etc. I find a phone call doesn't replace an in person interaction/relationship, as my RBC meeting was over phone and I was consistently feeling like the lady did not want to talk so we only chatted for like 10 mins, but if you feel more comfortable then by all means.