Premed 101 Forums
Kira2020

Which premed programm to choose ? Software engineer or kinesiology ?

Hi, I've been accepted into kinesiology and software engineer program. My goal is to get into med school but i want to have a solid backup in case it doesn't work. I know software engineer gives a really good plan B, but I'm scared that i wont be able go get a good GPA for med school which is easy to get in kinesiology from what I've heard. Which of these 2 programme should i choose from ?

4 hours ago, Kira2020 said:

Hi, I've been accepted into kinesiology and software engineer program. My goal is to get into med school but i want to have a solid backup in case it doesn't work. I know software engineer gives a really good plan B, but I'm scared that i wont be able go get a good GPA for med school which is easy to get in kinesiology from what I've heard. Which of these 2 programme should i choose from ?

I think you've essentially answered your own question there. Those are the exact pros and cons of the 2 programs. Your choice now just has to depend on your confidence in your ability to do well, since either of these can lead you to med. Kinesiology might make it slightly easier for you satisfy all the prereqs for med, but you can manage that in the engineering program too. Lots of people on the forum have gotten in from engineering so it's not impossible, you just have to work hard to get a high GPA. 

image.png.10199def5f0bde5e593a152680de5bea.png

looks to me like both would be fine if you excel... i think it all comes down to your abilities. engineering doesn't come easy to everyone, i remember averages being around Cs in first and second year courses, but i also know lots of people that finished engineering with solid gpas. like drotter said, plenty of people get into med school from engineering. don't be scared. if you are willing to put in the work, a high gpa is achievable. think of what you will enjoy studying, worst case scenario for 3-4 years.

Engineering is not a popular 'premed' program. I've only known 1 person go from eng---> med and this guy was a robot with the work ethic of a monk. That being said, a BEng is a solid degree with good job prospects after graduating. Downside is that you will to more courses  (5.0+) with Eng vs Kin (5.0), and those courses are often more difficult.. So weigh your options and how hard you can grind through eng because it wont be easy. 

4 hours ago, IloveMemes said:

Engineering is not a popular 'premed' program. I've only known 1 person go from eng---> med and this guy was a robot with the work ethic of a monk. That being said, a BEng is a solid degree with good job prospects after graduating. Downside is that you will to more courses  (5.0+) with Eng vs Kin (5.0), and those courses are often more difficult.. So weigh your options and how hard you can grind through eng because it wont be easy. 

I can confidently say that not everyone that did engineering and went into med has the work ethic of a monk. :lol: n = 2 so that that as you wish, but I got into med from engineering, and I personally know 1 other individual from my program that also got into med. I worked part-time throughout undergrad + did multiple co-ops, and the other individual was involved in various research, clubs, etc. If there is a will, there is a way. I personally really enjoyed my undergrad, and have 0 regrets. I never felt like I was killing myself, and spending my entire time studying.

As far as courses go, you can be strategic. I always kept my course load to "normal" load (i.e. 5 courses per semester). I managed to fit the couple extra courses part-time during summers/co-op terms. I will say that when 3rd and 4th year came around, I didn't have the luxury of taking easy electives, and had no choice but to take a full engineering course load.

At the end of the day, yes, engineering is probably not the "easiest" path, but it is a great option for those who enjoy problem solving and are creative. Added bonus, it may provide you many opportunities that other programs would not (I'm thinking AI in medicine for software engineering specifically).

On 6/22/2020 at 10:54 PM, Kira2020 said:

Just to add to what everyone else has said, I'm an engineer who just recently got into med and I know several engineers in med school. It's definitely possible to get in if you choose the engineering route, you just need to put in more work than the typical pre-med

I recommend Kin. The material is voluminous and do have top grades, you will be working all the time and exhausted at the end of each semester, at least that was my experience. I could have coasted and attained Bs,  it to be a straight A student, I worked hard always. It also was a good prep for medicine. I absolutely do not regret my choice, I got in to med school on my first attempt.

3 hours ago, Bambi said:

I recommend Kin. The material is voluminous and do have top grades, you will be working all the time and exhausted at the end of each semester, at least that was my experience. I could have coasted and attained Bs,  it to be a straight A student, I worked hard always. It also was a good prep for medicine. I absolutely do not regret my choice, I got in to med school on my first attempt.

What was your GPA and CRU in Kin.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:56 PM, Bambi said:

I believe it was 3.86 with a high CRU. I took the Specialty Exercise Program at Concordia which had internships with the elderly having chronic illnesses.

What year ? Cz I've heard that lately it doesnt give a high cru ?

On 6/23/2020 at 12:54 AM, Kira2020 said:

I would say you summed up the issues quite well too - any engineering program (and software engineering may even be at higher risk of it in general). Engineering can be rather tone deaf to using the degree for anything else. 

If you do pull it off having comp sci (or related disciplines) and medicine is a rather fun mix! although I am particularly biased of course. 

13 hours ago, Kira2020 said:

What year ? Cz I've heard that lately it doesnt give a high cru ?

I guess things change, I’m going back 10 years or so. Every student of whom I am aware who excelled in Exercise Science and applied to med, got in on their first attempt.