Premed 101 Forums

Western Medicine Second undergraduate degree eligibility

Can anyone help me clarify whether or not Western will accept a second undergraduate degree if the degree is a 2 year Accelerated program. ( 2 years Public health degree from Ryerson ). I emailed admissions and here is what they said :

"This means that if you complete the second degree in 2 years, you must have 3 of 5 full or equivalent courses (18 of 30 credit hours) with a published academic level at third-year or above in each of those 2 years."

How would that policy affect a condensed 2 year degree? And what exactly does it mean for a course to be at a "third year level or above"?

9 minutes ago, MrLongshot1035 said:

Can anyone help me clarify whether or not Western will accept a second undergraduate degree if the degree is a 2 year Accelerated program. ( 2 years Public health degree from Ryerson ). I emailed admissions and here is what they said :

"This means that if you complete the second degree in 2 years, you must have 3 of 5 full or equivalent courses (18 of 30 credit hours) with a published academic level at third-year or above in each of those 2 years."

How would that policy affect a condensed 2 year degree? And what exactly does it mean for a course to be at a "third year level or above"?

hey there. For a second undergrad degree, afaik, 3 out of the 5 full courses must be at a published 3rd year or above, e.g. BIOL 3xxx and BIOL 4xxx (something along those lines). So talk through this with your program advisor to make sure you don't lose eligiblity. Western is extremely strict with their academic requirement policies (I was a victim of that this cycle lol).

How condensed is your degree? Just my idea, but maybe you can try putting the lower level courses to the summer while maintaining the 3/5 rule during the fall-winter academic years.

3 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

hey there. For a second undergrad degree, afaik, 3 out of the 5 full courses must be at a published 3rd year or above, e.g. BIOL 3xxx and BIOL 4xxx (something along those lines). So talk through this with your program advisor to make sure you don't lose eligiblity. Western is extremely strict with their academic requirement policies (I was a victim of that this cycle lol).

How condensed is your degree? Just my idea, but maybe you can try putting the lower level courses to the summer while maintaining the 3/5 rule during the fall-winter academic years.

Thanks for you reply!

The program is essentially the 4 year public health degree over the span of 4 semesters. Because it is accelerated i would be required to take 6-7 courses per semester during both years. Im certain this will fulfill my "Full time course load" requirements, however i just want to make sure that the program curriculum fits with Westerns 3 of 5 rule. Hopefully that makes sense lol 

2 minutes ago, MrLongshot1035 said:

Thanks for you reply!

The program is essentially the 4 year public health degree over the span of 4 semesters. Because it is accelerated i would be required to take 6-7 courses per semester during both years. Im certain this will fulfill my "Full time course load" requirements, however i just want to make sure that the program curriculum fits with Westerns 3 of 5 rule. Hopefully that makes sense lol 

Yeah I'm not sure what happens when you overload it like that. :confused: I'm guessing that you should aim to have 60% of the courses in each year being at 3xxx level or higher.

• 5 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 10:30 AM, epyfathom said:

hey were you able to confirm if the program qualifies? I am currently in the 2-yr OHS program at ryerson as well so I am in the same situation as you.

We should connect! I'm also in the OHS program. Just finished first semester. :)

The fast track 2yr program meets the 60% rule even at greater than 5 classes per semester (thankfully). I don't see an issue with anything else. 

On 6/23/2020 at 12:33 PM, MrLongshot1035 said:

And what exactly does it mean for a course to be at a "third year level or above"?

This is what I'm struggling to figure out for Ryerson :confused: as courses numbers range from 100-900 at Ryerson. 

Most universities it's 100 to 400 or 1000 to 4000 in the course number. 

Ryerson does not have a straightforward system on course numbering translating to year level. Can anyone clarify???

1 hour ago, medicineballislife said:

This is what I'm struggling to figure out for Ryerson :confused: as courses numbers range from 100-900 at Ryerson. 

Most universities it's 100 to 400 or 1000 to 4000 in the course number. 

Ryerson does not have a straightforward system on course numbering translating to year level. Can anyone clarify???

Hey there!

So I'm in the fast track program as well (final year), I contacted Ryerson and they basically said we would have to map out our courses with the 4 year program  (2018 and prior) to know exactly which year our courses are. But they basically said that our first year in the fast track program as basically year 1 and year 2 courses combined, and our final year is a combination of 3rd and 4th year courses. I don't know about you, but looking at the courses we've taken so far, i don't think we meet Western's requirements - not for our first year of our program at least, unless you took additional courses outside of our program to meet the 3/5 rule.