Premed 101 Forums

Did you update your references on your acceptance?

Just now, takasugi said:

Hey, 

Did you guys update your references on getting into med school? I haven't talked to any of my references since I asked them to write my letters for me and I don't regularly talk to them. Should I send them an update on my acceptance? 

I think it's common courtesy to do that. Plus, if nothing else, it'll help brighten up their days, which I think is good enough a reason.:lol:

Yes - absolutely. A short email should suffice. They took time out of their day to submit their reference which was *instrumental* in you getting accepted. It is very etiquette not to take the time to let them know / show your appreciation. You always want people to keep a good image of you, and you never know when those relationships may come in handy again. Also, most people take pride in helping others succeed.

I did! It didn't take much effort, and I am close to most of my references.

Even if they didn't write a letter of reference for the schools I was accepted to, I still think they like to hear about it! It saves them the speculation of "Huh, I wonder what XX is doing now..."

And who knows? Maybe you'll see them again. 

I also emailed all my references (and verifiers). It doesn't take long if you write a template and personalize it a bit to the individual person. 

Getting in took their help and support over the years and I thought it was a great opportunity to thank them for all they've taught me over the years. 

What I did was write a brief email and attach my acceptance email. I also didn't keep in close contact with my references, but we were all busy during the rest of the year and all my references were excited to hear back so I think it definitely adds to their day. They'll definitely appreciate the good news esp now that most are restricted due to the pandemic. Mine were references for 2 years in a row after I graduated though so their continued support meant a lot to me and I really wanted to express my gratitude.

1 hour ago, WuhanClan said:

What I did was write a brief email and attach my acceptance email. I also didn't keep in close contact with my references, but we were all busy during the rest of the year and all my references were excited to hear back so I think it definitely adds to their day. They'll definitely appreciate the good news esp now that most are restricted due to the pandemic. Mine were references for 2 years in a row after I graduated though so their continued support meant a lot to me and I really wanted to express my gratitude.

Same thing for me! They have been my references for a few years so I really wanted to express my gratitude for their continued support. They were all very happy/excited for the update :)