Premed 101 Forums

Application Timeline

Hey I was just wondering if I am at an extreme disadvantage as a Canadian applicant if I submit my application now-ish. I just recently found out that with US apps, it is recommended to submit it right when AMCAS opens (end of May this year). My MCAT is 512 and AMCAS GPA is 3.94. I have tons of clinical volunteering, one year of medical scribing/patient consulting/book editing for a clinic, observership with another physician, 3 years of research (several international conference talks and abstracts, several poster presentations, and one in-progress publication),  performed ARCT in Piano Performance and co-requisite theory exams, several scholarships/awards, almost two years of Head teaching assistant experience for several first year courses, member of a humanitarian relief club at my school, and co-leader of this interdisciplinary initiative to help members living with disabilities and layered health conditions. I also have some uncles and cousins who live in the US and frequently visited some cities throughout my life (idk if this matters).

Based on this profile, do you think I'll be screwed as a Canadian applicant who is sending in primaries in end of June/beginning of July? Would my MCAT as a Canadian be low? Looking forward to hearing back any opinions :)

9 hours ago, Medase said:

I would say pretty screwed, I didn't get any US interviews and I sent primaries mid-July last cycle....513/3.94. 

Disagree. Once you have decent stats, it is more so strongly dependent on if your personal statement and non-academics will catch their eye. 

OP give it a shot if you can get all your required documentation in ASAP - it is getting late, and you likely wont be "complete" until late august probably, but worth a shot. I hope you have more non-academics than what you describe, or a strong personal statement. Otherwise, you may be better off waiting until next cycle.

Thanks both of you for the opinions, I've definitely been trying to get AMCAS done ASAP--started Wednesday after I didn't get off waitlist at a school this year and aiming to submit tomorrow. Do you have any advice for a personal statement @JohnGrisham? Or rather just giving it clear structure, tangible experiences, and a good story? Also what do you mean by more non-academics? Like non-science-related entries or would clinical/hospital volunteer suffice for that?

2 hours ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

does your application get delayed if references get in slightly after your primaries are submitted?

Sorry just to clarify, although I say your pretty screwed, doesn't mean you have zero chance. If your personal statement and non academics is solid, then yea you could be the few that get in at this time. If you have the money shoot your shot. And also just realized my error in my previous post sry, I submitted my primary mid-June, got approved mid-July and submitted secondaries a day after. I would say my personal statement was mediocre, not the best of my work though I worked hard on it and got it reviewed. 

Your application does not get delayed if references aren't submitted before your primary app is submitted. You need to have your references submitted before you submit your secondary application or then it delays your application.

4 minutes ago, Medase said:

Sorry just to clarify, although I say your pretty screwed, doesn't mean you have zero chance. If your personal statement and non academics is solid, then yea you could be the few that get in at this time. If you have the money shoot your shot. And also just realized my error in my previous post sry, I submitted my primary mid-June, got approved mid-July and submitted secondaries a day after. I would say my personal statement was mediocre, not the best of my work though I worked hard on it and got it reviewed. 

Your application does not get delayed if references aren't submitted before your primary app is submitted. You need to have your references submitted before you submit your secondary application or then it delays your application.

No worries! Any variety of opinions and honesty is much appreciated! Also roughly how many schools did you apply to? Also that makes sense, and just to confirm, I would have to wait for my verifier's information to be confirmed before submitting right (like no way to edit that info on primaries after I press submit)?

5 hours ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Or rather just giving it clear structure, tangible experiences, and a good story?

Be mature, be humble, don't be cliche, and be honest with your experiences and "why medicine" - doesn't have to be anything fancy.   Schools like to see mature individuals, who know their strengths and weaknesses, and like to see growth.

1 hour ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

No worries! Any variety of opinions and honesty is much appreciated! Also roughly how many schools did you apply to? Also that makes sense, and just to confirm, I would have to wait for my verifier's information to be confirmed before submitting right (like no way to edit that info on primaries after I press submit)?

Make sure you apply to schools that actually take internationals/Canadians, it shouldnt take more than a few hours to search through this forum and schools admission statistics on their websites...to make the list. 

15 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Make sure you apply to schools that actually take internationals/Canadians, it shouldnt take more than a few hours to search through this forum and schools admission statistics on their websites...to make the list. 

ye i got MSAR and have roughly 12-13 i'll apply to and thanks for the advice

The caveat to this is that unlike candian schools, re applicants are looked at differently at american schools, many limit the number of times you can apply, you have to write statements on why you were not successful in previous years and whats different this year, etc. So deciding to skip a late application would be very reasonable.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, Dr. Shqipe said:

Sorry for the last reply, I applied to 6 Canadian friendly schools. Not sure what you mean by verifier's information, but if you mean EC sections, then yes you would have to wait till they say they can be your verifier, although I don't see why you couldn't submit before if you 100% sure they will say yes (like you know them and this isn't no random university staff)

On 6/26/2020 at 4:02 PM, Medase said:

I would say pretty screwed, I didn't get any US interviews and I sent primaries mid-July last cycle....513/3.94. 

Edit: I actually sent primaries mid-June, approved mid-July

In my opinion, your chances of getting in are more dependent on your strategic SCHOOL LIST than what your actual stats are. Just because someone had amazing stats and didn't get in anywhere doesn't necessarily mean that someone with stats below that have no chance. I know plenty of people with high stats, but don't get in anywhere because they only applied to non-Canadian-friendly and/or really top-heavy schools (Stanford, Harvard, JH, etc.). They were basically misinformed with how to formulate school lists. To OP: If people share their stats with you, and share an outcome, make SURE that they also provide the schools they applied to, because you can then assess the context of their application. 

I'd say to OP that if you can get everything submitted within a week, you could be fine (but you're really straddling the line between being screwed and having a chance). If not, wait until next cycle! 

On 7/2/2020 at 12:56 PM, scoobydoo1623 said:

I'd say to OP that if you can get everything submitted within a week, you could be fine (but you're really straddling the line between being screwed and having a chance). If not, wait until next cycle! 

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thank you all so much for the amazing and insightful feedback that really had me thinking long and hard. I ended up submitting my application two days ago--and though it was a gruelling process to do it so fast, and I slightly fell behind my summer course, I feel it was very worth it! Thanks again (fingers crossed the rest of my references upload the letters soon too and that I won't be too screwed in terms of timing) :D