Premed 101 Forums

Club President as Referee?

I currently have my PI (who I'm doing research with for my Master's) and a professor who I work for as a TA. Since the requirements for referees were modified I was wondering if I could use the president of the club for my department as a referee. He is a PhD student, knows me well and can write a supportive letter 

Is it a good idea to choose the president as a referee? Will it hold much weight in the eyes of the adcom? 

To reword this slightly differently, you're asking if you can ask another graduate student to be a reference (presumably for OMSAS). That's uncomfortably close for my liking, especially if it's written through their role as club president. As Queens put it:

You should choose referees who can evaluate you in a non‑biased fashion, avoiding family members, acquaintances and friends.

Asking another grad student to fill out the form is uncomfortably close to acquaintance or friend. If they flag it is another topic, but I wouldn't risk it. 

I also see this as a little too close to your "level," so to speak, especially considering that you're also a grad student. I would try to find someone else for your non-academic letter if possible. If you have a comparable letter writer no need to possibly jeprodize your whole app

That should be fine; so long as the letter/CAF focuses on the aspects that a non academic-letter should (teamwork, leadership, advocacy, community service, etc.). Sometimes it's just harder to get those things from a prof/have the letter not sound academically-oriented. But so long as that's clear to the referee, should be fine imo