Premed 101 Forums

What GPA and CARS scores will be used for those with Guarenteed interviews

I was wondering if anyone knows what GPA and CARS scores will be used when seeing if we get into Mac (for those of us with guarenteed interviews). Will they use our application GPA and CARS from last year, or if our GPA and CARS scores increased this year will they use those instead? I emailed Wendy yesterday and have yet to hear back so i was wondering if anyone else knows.

49 minutes ago, MedWonderer said:

I think probably using last year's makes more sense

I think that makes sense too since those are the marks we got the interview with. That being said Mac doesn't always do what makes sense. Like with how they did the interviews

I think they'll probably skip the traditional pre-interview weighing for guaranteed interview applicants (mainly to remove the blackbox component of CASPer) so CARS won't matter at all. 

As far as GPA, I don't know which way they'll go. There's a case for both directions. If they use last year's GPA some people will lose out since I'd imagine cGPA tends to increase year over year. If they use this year's cGPA someone will be also be negatively affected (probably less people though). Personally, using the person's September 2020 cGPA makes the most sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

I think they'll probably skip the traditional pre-interview weighing for guaranteed interview applicants (mainly to remove the blackbox component of CASPer) so CARS won't matter at all. 

As far as GPA, I don't know which way they'll go. There's a case for both directions. If they use last year's GPA some people will lose out since I'd imagine cGPA tends to increase year over year. If they use this year's cGPA someone will be also be negatively affected (probably less people though). Personally, using the person's September 2020 cGPA makes the most sense to me. 

I'm pretty sure the cars score is used in the post interview stage. The weighting is 15% GPA 15% CARS and 70% interview score. 

You're right, I'm not sure how I managed to miss that... In this case my feeling (although I'm curious what Wendy says) is that it would make the most sense to use last year's CARS score, since they're essentially trying to make-up for the lottery/scrubbed interviews, and using last year's CARS score is closest to this model. 

1 minute ago, seewhathappens said:

So are they re-using Casper as well? Are we essentially re-applying, but if we didn't make the cut, we get an interview anyway? 

You don't have to rewrite the Casper at all they'll still let u in. I guess in a sense they'd be reusing ur old Casper score

9 minutes ago, GamingMD said:

You don't have to rewrite the Casper at all they'll still let u in. I guess in a sense they'd be reusing ur old Casper score

Right.  But I guess what I'm trying to figure out if we are being simply added to the ~550 standard interviews, or are they re-using Casper+newGPA+new CARS to see if we qualify, take top 550, and give an interview to anyone who didn't make the cut.

19 minutes ago, seewhathappens said:

Right.  But I guess what I'm trying to figure out if we are being simply added to the ~550 standard interviews, or are they re-using Casper+newGPA+new CARS to see if we qualify, take top 550, and give an interview to anyone who didn't make the cut.

I see. I'm not too sure but if I were to make a GUESE. I'd say they'll take their top 550 and then for any guarantees ppl that aren't in the top 550 they'll subtract ppl at the bottom of the list to make room for the guarantees ppl. There's only probably around 100-200 ppl with guaranteed interviews and most of them would've gotten another interview anyways imho so I doubt it'll make a huge impact. I could be wrong though as it's just speculation