Premed 101 Forums

Canadian trained OD in the US?

Hey, I was looking this up and couldn't find anything regarding the actual act of practicing in the US rather than immigration issues. I'm Canadian but I have permanent residency in the US (married to US citizen) so immigration is irrelevant to my question. 

I was playing with the idea of applying to Canadian optometry school this year, but for me it's important to have a job that is somewhat easily transferred from Canada to the US and back. Once immigration is figured out, what are the barriers for a Canadian trained OD to practice in the US, and vice versa? Is it just an exam, or are there more hoops to jump through?

Thanks 

On 6/29/2020 at 5:09 PM, AKtoQC said:

Hey, I was looking this up and couldn't find anything regarding the actual act of practicing in the US rather than immigration issues. I'm Canadian but I have permanent residency in the US (married to US citizen) so immigration is irrelevant to my question. 

I was playing with the idea of applying to Canadian optometry school this year, but for me it's important to have a job that is somewhat easily transferred from Canada to the US and back. Once immigration is figured out, what are the barriers for a Canadian trained OD to practice in the US, and vice versa? Is it just an exam, or are there more hoops to jump through?

Thanks 

To practice in USA you need to pass their boards exam (which is arguably easier than Canadian boards from what I've heard), but I'm not familiar whether there are other requirements. You can do the first step of your US boards after year 3 of optometry school at UdeM iirc, correct me if I'm wrong, and you can do the other steps at the end of your optometry school, so you'd be taking the American and the Canadian boards at around the same time iirc... (also, for the clinical exam, you actually have to fly to the US to take it!)

I've known people who did that at my school and I was planning to do the exact same thing actually (had I not gotten accepted to med)!