Premed 101 Forums

Transferring to Unrelated Undergrad Degree?

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a question here for a friend. My former classmate is currently in a BioMedical program at Western and wants to transfer into a chemical engineering program (to which he has been accepted) at a different university. His end goal is still to apply to medical school but he feels like his skills (and marks) would shine more in that program and finds his current program to be an uncomfortable fit. 

So I guess the question is will medical schools frown upon switching from a “premed” degree to something that’s completely unrelated? I understand that they don’t care about your undergrad given some people may want to change careers but I feel a little uneasy for him as he is transferring from a biology degree to something unrelated not the other way around. Will this show indecision or lack of interest for the field?

I’m spitballing here but just want to know if there should be any concern to what he is planning to do. I know applications are examined under a microscope and I’m guessing this could be a red flag?

Appreciate any input. Cheers

... your friend will be fine. Med schools don’t care, and know that people need a plan B given how competitive med school admission is. If anything, it shows your friend wants an undergrad degree that is marketable and will allow them to get into another field / career. I would argue this shows maturity lol. Everyone knows there are very limited opportunities After graduating with just a BSc.

3 hours ago, petitmonstre111 said:

... your friend will be fine. Med schools don’t care, and know that people need a plan B given how competitive med school admission is. If anything, it shows your friend wants an undergrad degree that is marketable and will allow them to get into another field / career. I would argue this shows maturity lol. Everyone knows there are very limited opportunities After graduating with just a BSc.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. With applications under so much scrutiny it’s hard to know what’s going through the reviewer’s mind; seems like anything could lead to a rejection haha.