Premed 101 Forums

Grad Student Historical Acceptance GPA?

With the change to the UofT requirements for a 'grad student', does anyone have any idea what the average admission GPA is for the grad student pool? Does it also matter if the Masters was completed on a part-time basis?

It seems that the acceptance wGPA for grad students seems to be far lower than the undergraduate pool. My UG cGPA is in the lower end of the 3.9 range, and not eligible for the wGPA calculation.  

To piggyback off of this -- how are graduate students' GPAs evaluated? Do they take the place of the undergraduate GPA (as in if you're being assessed as a graduate applicant, are they only considering your graduate GPA), or do they average the undergraduate and graduate GPA?

27 minutes ago, Moosers said:

To piggyback off of this -- how are graduate students' GPAs evaluated? Do they take the place of the undergraduate GPA (as in if you're being assessed as a graduate applicant, are they only considering your graduate GPA), or do they average the undergraduate and graduate GPA?

Only your undergrad GPA will be assessed. So a poor undergrad GPA will be hard to recover from. They will simply give you some sort of a "bonus" depending on what type of grad degrees you have/are in progress of. Here's what they say from their website:

Graduate applicants will receive credit for their graduate work based on the following categories:

• Doctoral degree conferred
  • Doctoral degree in progress
  • Research-based Master’s conferred
  • Research-based Master’s in progress
  • Course-based Master’s conferred

(presumably in the decreasing order of "credit")

To answer OP’s original question, I don’t think there are published stats for the grad pool averages or anything, but it doesn’t matter whether the degree was competed part/full time or not. But everyone is correct that only your Ugrad gpa matters, outside of a couple of schools (like Dal).

Anecdotally though, most grad students I’ve seen get accepted have had wGPAs in the 3.8s. There are a near-equal number with 3.9+ as well, but also a non-negligible handful in the 3.7s, so really 3.8+ seems to be the point where it doesn’t actively harm you, though I’d imagine this also really depends on the grad pool you’re in. Most people I’m basing this off of we’re either PhD in progress or completed. Either way you’re def fine wth that gpa. 

2 hours ago, DrOtter said:

Only your undergrad GPA will be assessed. So a poor undergrad GPA will be hard to recover from. They will simply give you some sort of a "bonus" depending on what type of grad degrees you have/are in progress of. Here's what they say from their website:

Graduate applicants will receive credit for their graduate work based on the following categories:

• Doctoral degree conferred
  • Doctoral degree in progress
  • Research-based Master’s conferred
  • Research-based Master’s in progress
  • Course-based Master’s conferred

(presumably in the decreasing order of "credit")

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for -- the way their website presents the information, to me at least, makes it seem like grad students are in their own category and are compared within their own pool, especially given the different GPA cutoffs. 

Thanks for the clarification -_-