Premed 101 Forums

Has anyone received their ranking?

jisoo

1 hour ago, Al22 said:

I received it on wednesday august 5th (but the .pdf letter enclosed says 'Saturday, July 18, 2020')

Not sure if this can help anyone, but I was ranked 366/788 at the prescreen stage, so no improvement from last year (350/819), which is as expected because my undergrad GPA is still 3.6, my casper must have stayed average, and while my CV might have improved it is only worth 10% and depends on who reviews the file

They did not provide the breakdown of rankings as they used to do (rankings for CV, Casper, academic) 

I received it on Friday August 7th. 

Ranked ~~ 310/922

GPA:3.91

Must have done  poorly on Casper.. I did run out of time on most questions.

I think my CV is decent, but who knows now. 

Anyone else willing to share their rank and GPA? Maybe this can help determine  how we did on Casper, given CV is only 10%. 

6 minutes ago, fallingupstairs_sn said:

I received it on Friday August 7th. 

Ranked ~~ 310/922

GPA:3.91

Must have done  poorly on Casper.. I did run out of time on most questions.

I think my CV is decent, but who knows now. 

Anyone else willing to share their rank and GPA? Maybe this can help determine  how we did on Casper, given CV is only 10%. 

are you IP or OOP?

15 minutes ago, ChosenDestiny said:

Anyone else didn't receive their ranking yet? Should I re-submit a request? I think I read that the deadline to do so is September 1st...

I haven't received my ranking yet either. I was going to wait until Wednesday or Thursday before contacting them, but idk.

Just got mine. I was around low 400s/788 (IP)

gpa: 3.86

I was debating whether I should pay for casper resources this time, but since i progressed to pre-screen stage, maybe thats not necessary? Thoughts?

Looking at the mistakes I made on the CV was a major facepalm though, so I thought I'd be way lower tbh. 

On 8/18/2020 at 2:49 PM, shortie said:

Just got mine. I was around low 400s/788 (IP)

gpa: 3.86

I was debating whether I should pay for casper resources this time, but since i progressed to pre-screen stage, maybe thats not necessary? Thoughts?

Looking at the mistakes I made on the CV was a major facepalm though, so I thought I'd be way lower tbh. 

Huh, so even though you made it to the prescreen, you only got an overall ranking, and not a break-down for the three components? Do you mind saying what mistakes you think you made on the CV?

As for CASPer, it's still 20% of the ranking and its basically a black box. Unless your GPA or CV will be vastly better for the next cycle, I think it's reasonable to try and maximize your practice for CASPer, and it could be money well spent if just for the peace of mind.

Edit: [deleted]

Hi

Just received mine.

Last year 2019/2020 cycle: 27 out of 835 at prescreening (I messed up my interviews, I know)  (Academic you ranked:16  On the non‐academic portion,you ranked  CASPer 399   CV:101)

This year 2020/2020 cycle: 830 out of 1035 at prescreening. does that make sense? I applied based on second degree (maybe they didn't take it in consideration?. I don't know.

what do you think?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Med201920 said:

Hi

Just received mine.

Last year 2019/2020 cycle: 27 out of 835 at prescreening (I messed up my interviews, I know)  (Academic you ranked:16  On the non‐academic portion,you ranked  CASPer 399   CV:101)

This year 2020/2020 cycle: 830 out of 1035 at prescreening. does that make sense? I applied based on second degree (maybe they didn't take it in consideration?. I don't know.

what do you think?

Cheers

Dropping from 27/835 to 830/1035 seems really strange. Was your basis of admission degree the same one for both years? Unless you were screened out this year based on a poor CASPer score this doesn't make any sense to me.

3 hours ago, Vons said:

Dropping from 27/835 to 830/1035 seems really strange. Was your basis of admission degree the same one for both years? Unless you were screened out this year based on a poor CASPer score this doesn't make any sense to me.

I am still wondering. Same degree for admission. Same everything (cv, ...etc). Only the Casper changed (even with a bad Casper. It still does not make sense since the weight would be very low)

2 hours ago, Med201920 said:

I am still wondering. Same degree for admission. Same everything (cv, ...etc). Only the Casper changed (even with a bad Casper. It still does not make sense since the weight would be very low)

I don't think the weighting would matter much if McGill uses a cutoff for CASPer (as their website ambiguously suggests). This would mean that maybe you did not meet the CASPer threshold, which could justify the drop? 

Ranking Fall 2020 cycle: (waitlisted for interview IP, did not get)

• 298 of 788
  • Undergraduate GPA at admission: 3.57/4.0 (+ masters completed)
  • Very good casper performance based on dent ranking (9th) which was given, my CV also got better

Ranking Fall 2019 cycle: (rejected pre-interview)

• 574 of 819
  • Undergraduate GPA at admission: 3.57/4.0 (+ masters in progress) (644th for the academic portion)
  • Casper rank of 178th and CV rank of 501th

Finally got my ranking, did incredibly better than last year for some reason. Completed a masters and started a certificate so I know it helped but... still it's a massive jump. It does go to show that the average GPA may hover around a high number but a good GPA is still a good GPA even if it's much lower than the average people apply with.

• 10 months later...