Premed 101 Forums

Jobs after graduation

I'm in dental school now but have I been relaxing too hard? I don't really know too much about what the job market is like and what is important when applying to jobs. Should I be buffing up my resume? should I be networking? I'm kind of lost. There are no dentists in my family nor have I been shadowing in the past few years.

Most of the truly good jobs are found through networking. I've found good jobs through listings before, but that was years ago. The landscape has certainly changed in the GTA, especially with COVID.

The last time our practice put up an ad for an associate about 18 months ago, we got like 100 applicants in the first two days. When that associate left for residency and we had to fill his position, I just asked someone I knew from school instead, and I'm glad I did.

Good jobs do not need listings because the clinics and dentists who need help in a well-run, busy clinic know people who value the same traits & characteristics in other dentists. It's not hard to find people who want to work in a good work environment, obviously.

2 hours ago, cleanup said:

Most of the truly good jobs are found through networking. I've found good jobs through listings before, but that was years ago. The landscape has certainly changed in the GTA, especially with COVID.

The last time our practice put up an ad for an associate about 18 months ago, we got like 100 applicants in the first two days. When that associate left for residency and we had to fill his position, I just asked someone I knew from school instead, and I'm glad I did.

Good jobs do not need listings because the clinics and dentists who need help in a well-run, busy clinic know people who value the same traits & characteristics in other dentists. It's not hard to find people who want to work in a good work environment, obviously.

What program are you starting?