Premed 101 Forums

Is a 5th year considered for GPA calculations

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 7:45 PM, yeescience said:

I think so! I am applying and inputting my grades for my fourth and fifth undergraduate years (both taken prior to graduation) on the transcript assessment form. I am inputting my fifth year marks as "undergrad year 4" and my fourth year marks as "undergrad year 3". Is that what you're doing too? 

Hey! I also completed a fifth year, but I was going to input my grades as 'Undergrad Year 4' and 'Undergrad Year 5'. Is there a reason you were thinking of inputting your 4th year in the 'Undergrad Year 3' and 5th year in 'Undergrad Year 4'?

On 7/3/2020 at 12:24 PM, Covidwarrior said:

I was just wondering if my 5th year taken prior to graduation count towards my GPA?

so would they calculate my GPA to be

year 4 + year 5?

thank you!!

I believe it should be fine as well! I've seen old posts within the Dalhousie University forum where applicants refer to using their fifth year towards their GPA calculation!

18 hours ago, goldenelephant said:

Hey! I also completed a fifth year, but I was going to input my grades as 'Undergrad Year 4' and 'Undergrad Year 5'. Is there a reason you were thinking of inputting your 4th year in the 'Undergrad Year 3' and 5th year in 'Undergrad Year 4'?

Oh, when I look at the drop down menu on the transcript assessment form, there are only "Undergrad Year 3 and 4" that show up. Aside from that, there is only a "Graduate Year" cause I also completed an MSc.

On 7/14/2020 at 2:47 PM, yeescience said:

Oh, when I look at the drop down menu on the transcript assessment form, there are only "Undergrad Year 3 and 4" that show up. Aside from that, there is only a "Graduate Year" cause I also completed an MSc.

Hmmm, that's weird. I completed additional courses after I completed my undergraduate degree, so maybe that's why I see the additional years listed? I also completed an MSc, which I see included in the list. But I also see 'PhD Program', 'Co-op' and 'Nursing' listed, which I haven't completed.

On 7/14/2020 at 4:21 AM, goldenelephant said:

I believe it should be fine as well! I've seen old posts within the Dalhousie University forum where applicants refer to using their fifth year towards their GPA calculation!

Hi.I have a question.I want to complete an extra year for improving my gpa but I have graduated from my first bachelors.do canadian schools calculate this extra year gpa+my last year gpa(from first bachelors). Or this extra year should be completed before graduating?thanks a lot...

3 hours ago, Kamyab said:

Hi.I have a question.I want to complete an extra year for improving my gpa but I have graduated from my first bachelors.do canadian schools calculate this extra year gpa+my last year gpa(from first bachelors). Or this extra year should be completed before graduating?thanks a lot...

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how additional years completed outside of your Bachelors are considered as I completed my fifth year prior to graduating. Hopefully someone else on here will be able to provide more guidance. Alternatively, it might be a good idea to reach out to Admissions. They're really great with responding, so they should be able to provide you with more direction.

Best of luck!

16 hours ago, goldenelephant said:

Hmmm, that's weird. I completed additional courses after I completed my undergraduate degree, so maybe that's why I see the additional years listed? I also completed an MSc, which I see included in the list. But I also see 'PhD Program', 'Co-op' and 'Nursing' listed, which I haven't completed.

Haha wow that's so different! I think either way should be fine. I e-mailed admissions and they said both senior undergrad years could be filled out as 4th and 3rd year. Best of luck! :)