Premed 101 Forums

CME / Keeping your license active

We've got a bunch of new staff on the forum now so hopefully this is relevant to you also. I was wondering out of curiosity, how much time does it take to do your CME credits? I just signed up for the resident Mainpro Mainport... thing where you can log credits in advance (wish I'd found out about this earlier...) and it made me wonder. What are the most efficient ways to meet the requirements?

Are there also other things that you need in order to keep your license/If you just meet your CME quota each cycle will your license stay active regardless of the clinical workload, or will the college somehow find out how much work you're actually doing? e.g. say you stopped practicing but wanted to keep your license in case you want to return later.

Too soon for me to answer question 2...I read about this but since I’m just starting I can’t say off the top of my head  

however, lots and lots of ways to log activities for mainport. I just got a tip that attending academic half days can be accepted for section 1 credits—it isn’t an accredited activity but you’re allowed a certain number. 
grand rounds are almost always a section 1 activity. 
I know that studying for my subspecialty exam will count as section 2 credits. 

I think if you need acls, atls, etc you can claim those too  

Section 3 are the trickier ones or so I’ve heard. It has to involve self assessment. 

details are here http://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/cpd/moc-program/cpd-activities-can-record-e

the efficiency part I can’t answer for you unfortunately.  I collect a bunch of activities and log them all at once but it’s a slow process and I spend a couple hours (for me it’s the website part of it...)

On 7/4/2020 at 11:02 AM, Hanmari said:

We've got a bunch of new staff on the forum now so hopefully this is relevant to you also. I was wondering out of curiosity, how much time does it take to do your CME credits? I just signed up for the resident Mainpro Mainport... thing where you can log credits in advance (wish I'd found out about this earlier...) and it made me wonder. What are the most efficient ways to meet the requirements?

Are there also other things that you need in order to keep your license/If you just meet your CME quota each cycle will your license stay active regardless of the clinical workload, or will the college somehow find out how much work you're actually doing? e.g. say you stopped practicing but wanted to keep your license in case you want to return later.

At least in BC, when you fill out the College license annual renewal, you have to declare if you've been off work, as well as other questions related to your scope of practice, plans to retire, and so on. Here are a few of the relevant questions:

"Have you been absent from clinical practice for three continuous years" (Yes/no)

"Identify the clinical hours you were professionally active in the past 12 months" (Number of weeks, average number of hours per week)

"Do you have plans to significantly change, expand or reduce your scope of practice in the next 12 months"

etc