Premed 101 Forums

Is USDO worth it?

On 7/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, Keekz said:

Hi there, 

i don’t think I have the gpa for USMD, but I do for USDO. I’m wondering is it worth the $$ and years in the US (I’m Canadian) is there any possibility of Canada one day deciding that DOs can’t practice in Canada? 

Highly doubt this will ever happen considering that USDO and USMD residencies have merged giving both cohorts identical postgraduate training.

Just as an FYI if you didn't know (or for anyone stumbling across this) if your plan is USDO>Canadian Residency DOs are considered IMGs: https://www.carms.ca/match/r-1-main-residency-match/eligibility-criteria/summary-intake-criteria-osteopathic-school-graduates/

So unless you like having a faint chance of matching to rural family or some IM program with leftover seats, you need to plan to complete a American residency, with all the paperwork and citizenship issues that can produce. 

That's going to be the big obstacle for a faster return to Canada. 

2 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

Just as an FYI if you didn't know (or for anyone stumbling across this) if your plan is USDO>Canadian Residency DOs are considered IMGs: https://www.carms.ca/match/r-1-main-residency-match/eligibility-criteria/summary-intake-criteria-osteopathic-school-graduates/

So unless you like having a faint chance of matching to rural family or some IM program with leftover seats, you need to plan to complete a American residency, with all the paperwork and citizenship issues that can produce. 

That's going to be the big obstacle for a faster return to Canada. 

Thanks for your insight! Do you think DOs would be given preference over other IMGs?

That's a question well above my pay grade. I would suggest seeing what the old posts have to say, reading through the reports, and seeing what the actual evidence is either way, bearing in mind that this kind of topic can be prone to strong, not evidence based, opinions and people with an axe to grind either in favour or against schools or streams that may not reflect reality (particularly when it comes to reporting % matched figures that can be biased in various ways):

http://forums.premed101.com/search/?&q=DO IMG CaRMS&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Well, if you don't have the stats for USMD - and USDO is your only potential option, it sounds like you either do that ...and become a doctor, or don't and not be a doctor. If you want to be a doctor, USDO and an american residency is a reliable pathway back to Canada. 

The question of someone somehow barring USDO degree from practicing wouldn't make much sense, since Canada regularly takes foreign degrees from all over the world. Would be a strange and big political prospect if they somehow stopped letting non-canadian MD degrees practice in Canada.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, Keekz said:

Thanks for your insight! Do you think DOs would be given preference over other IMGs?

In the US, there's no doubt DOs will have preference over IMGs. In Canada, probably not as DOs are considered IMGs now.

That being said, the majority of Canadians in USDO schools end up doing residency in an ACGME program in the USA, they then return to Canada through reciprocity agreements such as with family med, or work to practice program (province dependent) in the specialties. It really is not as hard or as bad as you think. The main road block appears to be the rat race that is the CaRMs match. The moment you have an ACGME accredited residency behind your back, the Canadian institutions typically will work with you to figure out ways you can work in Canada. Once you have a US residency, no one cares where you went to med school or what degree you have.

I know this as most of my friends who were DOs or Caribbean grads with US residency have moved back to Canada and are doing very well for themselves. Some are even able to get out of their ROS agreements.

Edited by Mashmetoo