Premed 101 Forums

ECs for Dentistry - U of T

I've heard that ECs are not really looked at by U of T, but to what degree? 

I have some community volunteering and am an executive on some clubs, but I have no research nor publications. I don't know what the application process for U of T is like. If their personal essays ask what you've done during undergrad, doesn't that technically mean they count ECs? Do they ask about shadowing? 

Or, are these all helpful for you at the interview stage? 

This seems like such an obtuse question but I could really use some guidance. :(

As of time of writing, UofT asks for GPA, DAT scores, CASPer and two essays, one of which is a personal statement. They don't specifically ask for ECs, but you can definitely mention them in your essays. The personal statement is essentially for you to tell the admissions committee "why dentistry?" You may also want to reference your ECs during the interview as well.

With regards for publications, research, shadowing etc. again as of time of writing, they're not part of the application process - so they're not a requirement. They're just another type of extracurricular that someone may want to reference an experience from in their personal statement or interview.

Hope this helps :)

For us, I believe it was the first year they required personal statement. It was very vague and you could prob write about anything, basically a question about why you want to be a dentist. That being said, if you had a lot of shadowing experience, that can def help you write your personal statement. 

I found writing essay a good tool to reflect on your self, however I didn't talk about anything I wrote during interview

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 3:11 PM, ag17 said:

As of time of writing, UofT asks for GPA, DAT scores, CASPer and two essays, one of which is a personal statement. They don't specifically ask for ECs, but you can definitely mention them in your essays. The personal statement is essentially for you to tell the admissions committee "why dentistry?" You may also want to reference your ECs during the interview as well.

With regards for publications, research, shadowing etc. again as of time of writing, they're not part of the application process - so they're not a requirement. They're just another type of extracurricular that someone may want to reference an experience from in their personal statement or interview.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for your response! This is very encouraging and makes me feel slightly better. I'm already in third year and I can't help but feel that my ECs are a little bit lacking. Thank you. :)

On 7/6/2020 at 8:40 PM, DentKoolKid said:

For us, I believe it was the first year they required personal statement. It was very vague and you could prob write about anything, basically a question about why you want to be a dentist. That being said, if you had a lot of shadowing experience, that can def help you write your personal statement. 

I found writing essay a good tool to reflect on your self, however I didn't talk about anything I wrote during interview

That's very good to know! Although it is vague and allows for many ways to tackle this question, it's also much more intimidating I guess. Thank you for your help. :D 

On 7/9/2020 at 12:54 AM, dentistrydmd said:

U of T does not look at a CV. Only if you mentioned something in your personal statement might it show up. U of T breakdown for acceptance is primarily grades then interview (and a smaller percentage for other factors)

Thank you for your insight!!! It's really helping me destress. Thank you :) 

• 4 weeks later...