Premed 101 Forums

Situation in Alberta?

Dian Cecht

2 hours ago, ChemPetE said:

Man, this situation keeps getting more messed up. The AMA held a non confidence vote with a 67% response rate having 98% of the votes having no confidence in the health minister. And now there are twitter posts stating that Pincher Creek docs are basically forced to cover the gaps in the Aug schedule under threat of reporting to the CPSA. Absolutely bonkers. This really has to get resolved soon for everyone’s sanity, although I don’t see that happening.

I wouldn't worry. The experts in this forum have assured us that doctors will not be moving, and they are all overpaid anyways in Alberta so good riddance if they do, more will come.

8 hours ago, Redpill said:

I wouldn't worry. The experts in this forum have assured us that doctors will not be moving, and they are all overpaid anyways in Alberta so good riddance if they do, more will come.

You mean the experts who are premeds and brand new medical students? ;)

I am an Albertan physician. The "exodus" cannot happen overnight.

Let's reconvene in this thread in the next 1 to 1.5 years and see what happened with MDs in Alberta; that is, if the current path by government is followed. 

1 minute ago, LostLamb said:

You mean the experts who are premeds and brand new medical students? ;)

I am an Albertan physician. The "exodus" cannot happen overnight.

Let's reconvene in this thread in the next 1 to 1.5 years and see what happened with MDs in Alberta; that is, if the current path by government is followed. 

What are your predictions assuming they stay the course?

Not in Alberta but my two cents is that, when Albertans are struggling with the double whammy of coronavirus and a downturn in oil prices/inability to build pipelines it seems inevitable to me that the government cannot afford to continue to pay their doctors the same high salaries that they got when times were good. Alberta has always been a boom bust province and honestly this really doesn't come as a surprise to me.. As physicians, I appreciate and support those that fight for our rights but I'm not sure this is the right battlefield to fight and die on.

Their government is setting a bad precedent - showing they can impose almost whatever they want and not go through any pretence of negotiations.  Provincial governments everywhere would like to cut fees without negotiation this shows them it can be done.  Although AB is in a difficult position, there's much fairer ways to approach the issue - for example through arbitration like what was eventually done in ON where both sides have an opportunity to present their cases.  At the same time, they're contracting out to Telus services that are already being provided at lower cost by FPs - which makes no sense at all if cost is really all they care about.