Premed 101 Forums

Canadian EM fellowship after US FM residency

Nni2q1

Hey everyone, I’m an FM PGY2 in the US. Interested in applying for Canadian FM/EM fellowship next year (FM is 3 years here). Do y’all know of anyone who has done this? I have been going through some of the match data from last year and it seems that there are usually 1-2 applicants from US residencies and they don’t end up matching. Going this route will likely be expensive and time consuming. Basically I’d like to know if there is a realistic chance of matching if I apply. Would my application be viewed the same as someone who trained in Canada? 

On 7/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, Nni2q1 said:

Hey everyone, I’m an FM PGY2 in the US. Interested in applying for Canadian FM/EM fellowship next year (FM is 3 years here). Do y’all know of anyone who has done this? I have been going through some of the match data from last year and it seems that there are usually 1-2 applicants from US residencies and they don’t end up matching. Going this route will likely be expensive and time consuming. Basically I’d like to know if there is a realistic chance of matching if I apply. Would my application be viewed the same as someone who trained in Canada? 

Do electives in canada for EM just like anyone else, and apply broadly. That's all there is to it. 

I would aim for non major city programs.. even then.. hard to match to FM/EM even as a CMG. In my province, people basically only got interviews in-province. Someone did an elective at a big center in another province and was not granted an interview. Electives will be your best chance.

There is also a 1 year EM fellowship in the US that may be an option. A current list (June 2020) of available fellowships: https://www.abpsus.org/emergency-medicine-fellowships 

SDN thread about the year (good information found within but lots of comments to go through): https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/just-finished-my-em-fellowship.1384555/

If your goal is to work in a Canadian emergency department this looks like a viable route, licensing issues aside. I do not think you would be considered residency eligible to take the FM/EM exam, meaning you would have to work a few years in a Canadian emergency department before taking the exam. 

Thank you all for the responses. Unfortunately EM electives in Canada are not an option since I have only one elective this year (next month) and travel is restricted. 

EM fellowships in the USA are also not an option for me since I’m a Canadian on a J1 visa. The fellowships are not ACGME accredited and do not accept J1 visas. I can do things like sports med or palliative, but not EM. 

I guess I’m kinda screwed. I might just submit my application with the letters I got from my electives here and see what happens. Thanks!

On 7/16/2020 at 5:11 PM, JohnGrisham said:

Do electives in canada for EM just like anyone else, and apply broadly. That's all there is to it. 

In general, aren't resident electives restricted now anyways due to COVID? I know med student ones are, not sure about resident ones specifically.

6 hours ago, Nni2q1 said:

Thank you all for the responses. Unfortunately EM electives in Canada are not an option since I have only one elective this year (next month) and travel is restricted. 

EM fellowships in the USA are also not an option for me since I’m a Canadian on a J1 visa. The fellowships are not ACGME accredited and do not accept J1 visas. I can do things like sports med or palliative, but not EM. 

I guess I’m kinda screwed. I might just submit my application with the letters I got from my electives here and see what happens. Thanks!

Sorry to hear that. Certainly only having 1 month of elective time is a detriment - do it in EM in your home program at least and get letters.  

Move back to Canada and work semi-rural and you should be able to get some Emerg hours in. Can always keep trying for fellowship and arrange for an elective under other circumstances etc.  Or do the challenge exam pathway, though less reliable/desirable compared to doing the +1 year, especially if you want to work urban.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:43 PM, JohnGrisham said:

Sorry to hear that. Certainly only having 1 month of elective time is a detriment - do it in EM in your home program at least and get letters.  

Move back to Canada and work semi-rural and you should be able to get some Emerg hours in. Can always keep trying for fellowship and arrange for an elective under other circumstances etc.  Or do the challenge exam pathway, though less reliable/desirable compared to doing the +1 year, especially if you want to work urban.

I will have a total of 2 EM rotations and a procedure month by the time I apply. My program is unopposed and we cover the floor/ICU year round. Would mentioning that in the application help? There must be some benefit to q3-4 call for 3 years lol. We also end up doing most of the lines, thora/paras, LPs, etc. Do you think there would be any benefit to submitting a procedure log? 

I have looked into the non fellowship pathways and they don’t seem very structured. If this flops I will probably look into hospitalist.  

11 hours ago, Nni2q1 said:

My program is unopposed and we cover the floor/ICU year round. Would mentioning that in the application help?

Definitely mention and emphasis the procedural and hands on ICU care etc.    That said, doing procedures is just a small part of EM, its more the thinking and mindset. Anyone can do procedures. So don't over emphasis procedures either.

11 hours ago, Nni2q1 said:

I will have a total of 2 EM rotations and a procedure month by the time I apply. My program is unopposed and we cover the floor/ICU year round. Would mentioning that in the application help? There must be some benefit to q3-4 call for 3 years lol. We also end up doing most of the lines, thora/paras, LPs, etc. Do you think there would be any benefit to submitting a procedure log? 

I have looked into the non fellowship pathways and they don’t seem very structured. If this flops I will probably look into hospitalist.  

Hospitalists will be very doable, you could start working right away once you get your license. Depending on where you are, more mid-size centres with less IM admitting will mean hospitalists do more, and IM just consults. 

On 7/19/2020 at 10:45 AM, JohnGrisham said:

Hospitalists will be very doable, you could start working right away once you get your license. Depending on where you are, more mid-size centres with less IM admitting will mean hospitalists do more, and IM just consults. 

Thanks! 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, G Dhi said:

Any insight about the eligibility if family residents in usa are eligible to apply to FM/ED fellowships 

Check eligibility on Carms.ca, it should tell you there. AFAIK the r3 fellowships are only for Canadian trained residents, but could be wrong. I think if you come back to Canada, get your CCFP and then apply as a non-resident class...you would be eligible. But anecdotally fellowship programs prefer fresh grads, since they are still "teachable" and not set into practice styles/patterns, but if you are motivated - i have had 1 colleague who worked as a GP for a few years then applied for the EM R3 and worked out.