Premed 101 Forums

Should I rewrite the MCAT??

Taco

Hi! I am currently in the process of applying to med schools and Dal is my top choice. I was born and raised in NS, attended university here and currently live in Halifax. I have about a 3.8 GPA and just got my MCAT score back. I got a 503 which is horrible as I was practice testing around 515. I’m wondering if it’s worth my while to re write the test. I have decent activities (volunteer work, TA, etc), have not done research but I do have a lot of work experience. I don’t know if I should focus my time on my essay and application as an in province applicant or if I should start studying again and rewrite the MCAT. Thoughts and advice please????

I would definitely rewrite if I were you. Lots of applicants take the MCAT more than once so it's not uncommon. And you can always cancel if you get in somewhere before retaking it.

*I hope your practice testing score is based on the official AAMC practice exams (and not Kaplan/Princeton/etc) because only they approximate the actual testing material.

53 minutes ago, dopamania said:

*I hope your practice testing score is based on the official AAMC practice exams (and not Kaplan/Princeton/etc) because only they approximate the actual testing material.

From what I've seen on r/MCAT, third party exams tend to score you lower than AAMC. In any case, if your AAMC practice scores were ~515, definitely re-write!