Premed 101 Forums

What to expect for first month of first year? How to prepare?

Starting med school this fall and I'm nervous, especially during a COVID-19 world! Was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to expect. I know it's different for different med schools but if anyone can give general tips about orientation, how to prepare, how you guys like to study, how to make friends, is it OK if you don't make friends, are profs nicer to you (never had such a small class before, all my undergrad classes were at least 300 people), etc. Is there anything I can do now to prepare? :)

Also, has anyone here studied for Step 1? I'm planning on writing and thought it would be best if I study for that as I learn the material in med school!

Don't prepare for anything, enjoy your summer. Yes it's important to make friends. I study pretty much the same way I studied in undergrad at first, but soon you'll have to become comfortable with not knowing some things before your test because there's too much to know, you'll learn this skill on your own. Lecturers are mostly nice. 

You can kind of "study" for step1 by tracking your class content with boards and beyond / sketchy. 

Have fun, step 1 is p/f by the time you do it, enjoy your summer. Everyone studies differently and you’ll find your way. You’ll find your group early or late (hard to know which), profs can be good or not, it’s kind of like undergrad except some treat you like colleagues, some are very passionate about their topic, some do it Cus they have to. Watch Netflix.

enjoy outside see friends and fam, all good.

17 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Have fun, step 1 is p/f by the time you do it, enjoy your summer. Everyone studies differently and you’ll find your way. You’ll find your group early or late (hard to know which), profs can be good or not, it’s kind of like undergrad except some treat you like colleagues, some are very passionate about their topic, some do it Cus they have to. Watch Netflix.

enjoy outside see friends and fam, all good.

Should I act like step 1 is p/f then? I've heard rumours that January 2022 is the earliest that they're going to change it, but uncertain if it will be later than January or not...

You are prepared! :P enjoy your summer and then, go with the flow. When I started medical school, I stopped attending lectures after the 2nd day. From that day forward, I became self-taught, went through the lecture notes in a fraction of the time for the lectures and it was sort of like Covid in the sense that except for PBL I was strictly on my own. I found med school quite challenging, I was always studying,, and it worked out just fine. My old friends today are from my med school class, we hardly ever see each other as we are all busy in different cities. In the first month of first year, you will feel your way and figure it out. I did things my way and you will do things your way. 

11 hours ago, sportyrichmeia said:

Should I act like step 1 is p/f then? I've heard rumours that January 2022 is the earliest that they're going to change it, but uncertain if it will be later than January or not...

you'd be finishing second year by may/june 2022. You will be fine. I started in Feb inconsistently, but went ham once April/May came along, while working/finishing up second year. Still working full time and doing it. Trust you will be fine, marathon not a sprint.