Premed 101 Forums

Specialize in Biochem vs. Life Sciences for BSc?

Hi guys,

If I take Biochem, I would fulfill all Orgo/Biochem requirements for Dentistry easily but there would also be some other gpa killers I would have to take. For example, in second year, I would only have 1 elective per semester. The rest would be required Biochem courses and Orgo courses. After 2nd year I do get a lot more elective space. But still, I'm scared that the workload might be too overwhelming in 2nd year and my gpa will be fucked. A pro is that it is a smaller program (It would be easier to get to know my professors) and it can apparently be a better backup in case I don't get in to Dentistry. 

If I stay in Life Sciences, I would have a lot more elective space. I can spread out the required courses for UofT and Western over 2nd year and 3rd year and take easier classes that I actually enjoy to "maximize" my gpa. There are also different Biochem options at my uni, and the "easier" Biochem option can only be taken if I'm in Life Sci but not in Biochem.

Some people at my school perceive Life Sciences program for people who weren't smart enough to get into specializations but I mean either way I would still graduate with a BSc and I would (hopefully) be able to obtain a higher gpa in Life Sciences.

Do you guys think there is a benefit to specializing my BSc degree in Biochem as opposed to staying in general Life Sciences?

Thanks so much for any insight.

3 hours ago, Waves said:

No, there's no benefit in any specialization for an undergraduate BSc degree. Take Life Sciences, get good marks, be less stressed, and don't worry about what other people think.

I couldn't agree more, go with whatever program will get you the highest GPA. Your priority should be getting a high GPA so you can get into dental school. 

12 hours ago, peachmatcha said:

Hi guys,

If I take Biochem, I would fulfill all Orgo/Biochem requirements for Dentistry easily but there would also be some other gpa killers I would have to take. For example, in second year, I would only have 1 elective per semester. The rest would be required Biochem courses and Orgo courses. 

What school do you go to?  You are correct in the sense that at some schools, biochem is smaller, close knit and supportive.  When I completed undergrad, many people from Biochem got into professional programs (med/dent/optom/pharmacy).  Furthermore, it seemed like they were all friends.

Take whatever program interests you, and that you think you will do well in.  You can easily meet orgo and biochem requirements without being in biochem.  The vast majority of people who take orgo are not even in a biochem program.

1 hour ago, McMarauder said:

What school do you go to?  You are correct in the sense that at some schools, biochem is smaller, close knit and supportive.  When I completed undergrad, many people from Biochem got into professional programs (med/dent/optom/pharmacy).  Furthermore, it seemed like they were all friends.

Take whatever program interests you, and that you think you will do well in.  You can easily meet orgo and biochem requirements without being in biochem.  The vast majority of people who take orgo are not even in a biochem program.

McMaster. Yes, Biochem seems a lot more close-knit than Life Sci. It has one of the higher gpa cutoffs so I think it attracts more high-achievers.

18 minutes ago, peachmatcha said:

McMaster. Yes, Biochem seems a lot more close-knit than Life Sci. It has one of the higher gpa cutoffs so I think it attracts more high-achievers.

That's true.  Most of the people I knew in Mac biochem were very bright and hard working. 

If you feel like biochem provides an environment for which you can thrive, and if it's  an area that interests you, then go for it.  Sure you can pick up a lot more electives and "bird courses" in life sci, however, it's harder to put in the effort if you're studying something that is not interesting.

Pick what you like most! I personally found that doing health sciences (I think it would be similar to life sci), but supplementing with core sciences made me really prepared for interviews, as well as jobs I had working in healthcare before I got into dental! Life sciences allows you to apply the “hard” sciences with patient and world perspectives, which is where I see the big difference in people from either degree! 

I had a very similar situation. I was trying to choose between general science and health science at my university. Health science was more "highly regarded" and was definitely a closer knit community, and general science had a reputation of being for students who aren't as academically inclined. I ended up opting for general science so that I could focus on my prerequisites and avoid GPA killers, as well it allowed me to minor in sociology which was an absolute asset for my interview, and I would recommend it for everyone. I finished with a 3.93 OGPA and was just accepted to the U of A program, my friends in health science finished with application GPA's of 3.3 and 3.5 and did not get in this cycle for their med/dental applications. 

Overall, general science allowed me to achieve my highest GPA as well as take more well-rounded courses. I didn't meet anyone in my program who was seriously applying to med/dental so I missed out on building close connections with people going through similar application processes, which there certainly would have been an opportunity for in the health science program.