Premed 101 Forums

English or French stream

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of applying to uOttawa for the MD program (2021 cycle). I just finished my UG degree in Montreal and will start a M.Sc at McGill. I was wondering if it would be better for me to apply to the French or English stream. I am fluent in both languages, I have attended schools that use both languages and I really don't mind studying in either one. Some people said the French stream is less competitive but that the fewer number of places compensates. I don't know how my GPA will be calculated but I estimate it to be around 3.85/4.00.

Anyway, any advice/help that you can provide is very appreciated. Thanks in advance :) 

In the past for the English stream the cut off GPA has been 3.85. So if you do end up applying to the English stream just really make sure your GPA is 3.85 or above. I believe the French stream cut off is slightly lower. I think you can email admissions and ask what it was this past year. I’m not sure how and if the number of seats in the French stream changes the competitiveness. 

Best,

Hey,

Based on previous years, the cut-off for OOP french stream applicants is 3.87. The GPA cut-off for the french stream is much lower than this, but only if you're IP or in the Outaouais-Québec region. The English stream has had a GPA cut-off of 3.85 or so for the last few years.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, j98 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of applying to uOttawa for the MD program (2021 cycle). I just finished my UG degree in Montreal and will start a M.Sc at McGill. I was wondering if it would be better for me to apply to the French or English stream. I am fluent in both languages, I have attended schools that use both languages and I really don't mind studying in either one. Some people said the French stream is less competitive but that the fewer number of places compensates. I don't know how my GPA will be calculated but I estimate it to be around 3.85/4.00.

Anyway, any advice/help that you can provide is very appreciated. Thanks in advance :) 

Your GPA will play a factor in two occasions: 1) to get you the next round of your application (pre interview) and 2) to get you a seat (post interview). 

If you are comfortable learning in french, speaking french, and taking exams in french then, with the 3.70 WGPA cutoff (which was for the previous french cohort), you have an advantage with your higher GPA. However, for the English stream, you are at the lower end (as this year the cutoff for the ENG stream is exactly 3.85). 

However, there are students who have gained admission with the 3.85 in the english stream. I do not know the cut-offs for OOP, but I would email admissions for that info.

31 minutes ago, sweaterweather said:

Your GPA will play a factor in two occasions: 1) to get you the next round of your application (pre interview) and 2) to get you a seat (post interview). 

If you are comfortable learning in french, speaking french, and taking exams in french then, with the 3.70 WGPA cutoff (which was for the previous french cohort), you have an advantage with your higher GPA. However, for the English stream, you are at the lower end (as this year the cutoff for the ENG stream is exactly 3.85). 

However, there are students who have gained admission with the 3.85 in the english stream. I do not know the cut-offs for OOP, but I would email admissions for that info.

Hi, thanks for your answer.  They didn't mention wGPA at all and only talked about cGPA on uOttawa's website. It looks like they brought some considerable changes to the process...

Anyway, I'll contact the admissions office to ask about the cut-offs for the streams.

3 hours ago, j98 said:

Hi, thanks for your answer.  They didn't mention wGPA at all and only talked about cGPA on uOttawa's website. It looks like they brought some considerable changes to the process...

Anyway, I'll contact the admissions office to ask about the cut-offs for the streams.

My bad, I think then the wGPA = cGPA for this year, in that case, french stream's cut off may still be 3.70 in terms of CGPA, but def email and ask!

Good luck :)