Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zackattack881

Second degree GPA calculation

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!!

1) Did anyone get into McGill based on their second university degree? If so, does having a second degree look bad or less competitive? I only did my second bachelor out of interest and to boost my GPA. On the McGill website it says "Applicants may be considered on the basis of a second, subsequent undergraduate degree (minimum 60 credits)". I am graduating in spring 2021 with all my credits, so no issues there. However, I am just wondering if I will be considered on the same level as applicants with only a first degree.

2) After entering all my grades in last year's the Academic History Workbook, my "Basis of Admission Degree" was not my second bachelor (on the last page of the excel file). Did anyone encounter this problem last year when applying? If so, is the Academic History Workbook GPA just a preliminary GPA but they will look into my full transcript/re-calculate my GPA later on in my application?

 

Thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm applying this year based on a second degree. I talked to admissions about it and they said that being evaluated on the basis of a second degree itself doesn't put me at any disadvantage compared to others with just a first bachelor's degree. So yeah, you'll be considered to be on the same "level".

As for the workbook, I'm not sure. I played around with the last one based on the particular graduation date I'll have relative to when I apply (i.e. I just moved all the dates back by a year) and it worked fine for me and recognized my second degree as my basis of admissions degree. It's been a while though, so I don't remember exactly. If you know for sure that you'll have the 45 credits done before you apply, and will graduate before July 31 2021 (I think that's the date) you should be fine though. If there ends up being a problem with this year's workbook then I'd just contact admissions about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vons said:

As for the workbook, I'm not sure. I played around with the last one based on the particular graduation date I'll have relative to when I apply (i.e. I just moved all the dates back by a year) and it worked fine for me and recognized my second degree as my basis of admissions degree. It's been a while though, so I don't remember exactly. If you know for sure that you'll have the 45 credits done before you apply, and will graduate before July 31 2021 (I think that's the date) you should be fine though. If there ends up being a problem with this year's workbook then I'd just contact admissions about it.

I tried doing what you did and moved the dates back by a year, but it didn't change anything (last time I checked, but I'll try again today). For the first page of the workbook, did you you put your first bachelor and than the second one? I also put all my grades in chronological order, how about you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, zackattack881 said:

I tried doing what you did and moved the dates back by a year, but it didn't change anything (last time I checked, but I'll try again today). For the first page of the workbook, did you you put your first bachelor and than the second one? I also put all my grades in chronological order, how about you?

I think that sounds right. And yeah I definitely put everything in chronological order. I don't really know what else I did since I didn't save the version of the workbook that I was messing around with. But idk, if you meet the second degree conditions they've outlined, I'm sure that the workbook will either work or they'll look at it more closely when you submit it formally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vons said:

I think that sounds right. And yeah I definitely put everything in chronological order. I don't really know what else I did since I didn't save the version of the workbook that I was messing around with. But idk, if you meet the second degree conditions they've outlined, I'm sure that the workbook will either work or they'll look at it more closely when you submit it formally.

Ok, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...