Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anyoneelse

How much of my resume should I genuinely enjoy?

I wanted to know if anyone could relate to what I’ve been experiencing.

I’m currently a resident interested in a fairly competitive specialty that I’ll be applying for next year. I find rotations in it to be fulfilling and engaging. Learning more about it and making myself a better clinician is easy to do for that reason, and preceptors have remarked on my interest and promise.

However, given the competitive nature of the program, I worry merely being a dedicated, skilled clinician is insufficient. It seems a successful candidate must come packaged with extras like being a chief resident, conducting research, and participating in administrative roles. I’ve tried and tried to make myself enjoy such things, but I truly just don’t. 

I find the idea of “chiefing,” making schedules, liaising with admin, and I guess “being involved,” to be uninteresting and taxing. It’s just not how I want to spend my non-clinical time and it feels like it takes away from learning medicine. If I was guaranteed a spot in my specialty of choice, I would do none of that and prepare simply by learning. It makes me feel inauthentic, but how could I even compete if every one else is doing all those things?

On top of that, I’m a quiet, introverted person with no desire to be a leader, which feels taboo to even say in medicine. What I do care about is clinical acumen and skill, and ultimately reducing the suffering of my patients. I'm a friendly colleague and I work hard, but I just like to come home after work and read a book or watch a movie with my partner.

Do other people feel this way and just get on with it and compartmentalize? Is my reserved, unambitious nature prohibitive?

I’m open to the thought that I’m being immature provided it comes with an explanation because I do sometimes sound like a grumpy teenager to myself.

Do you mean specifically that you are a resident in a primary care discipline and is planning on either: 1)transferring (which is a whole different issue), 2)re-entering CaRMS, or 3) finishing CCFP and planning on going into a different more competitive program? Some clarification can be helpful. 

Honestly, if you don't want to be chief... I'd ask yourself if you think you can seriously do a good job despite a lack of interest. If you waver, please for the love of god don't be chief since your other co-residents will be hindered as well. Chiefs aren't only involved in the admin related aspects of residency... you also will play a role in determining aspects of your program and as well will be a face of the program. Imagine you being the chief and then sitting on a CaRMS interview panel... can you imagine the harm you can cause to your program when your disinterest permeate through and others decide to not rank the program as highly? (I may be wrong here too so I am open to being convinced otherwise) 

I'm sure there are other ways to show interest and competitiveness besides being a chief... I do advocacy and contribute as a stats consultant on various projects across Canada. I also try to work on self-publishing editorials and other forms of peer-reviewed literature. I'm not going to be a chief (if I do end up applying) for a long time. Ofc this is for my own discipline but I'm sure there are other options. 

If there's anything I've learned by this point... you're a resident now. You have your own likes and dislikes and that's not like when you're a new medical student being open to possibilities. I just can't see a successful outcome at this stage of your training if you force yourself to do something. 

Good luck regardless, 

- G

25 minutes ago, GH0ST said:

Do you mean specifically that you are a resident in a primary care discipline and is planning on either: 1)transferring (which is a whole different issue), 2)re-entering CaRMS, or 3) finishing CCFP and planning on going into a different more competitive program? Some clarification can be helpful. 

Honestly, if you don't want to be chief... I'd ask yourself if you think you can seriously do a good job despite a lack of interest. If you waver, please for the love of god don't be chief since your other co-residents will be hindered as well. Chiefs aren't only involved in the admin related aspects of residency... you also will play a role in determining aspects of your program and as well will be a face of the program. Imagine you being the chief and then sitting on a CaRMS interview panel... can you imagine the harm you can cause to your program when your disinterest permeate through and others decide to not rank the program as highly? (I may be wrong here too so I am open to being convinced otherwise) 

I'm sure there are other ways to show interest and competitiveness besides being a chief... I do advocacy and contribute as a stats consultant on various projects across Canada. I also try to work on self-publishing editorials and other forms of peer-reviewed literature. I'm not going to be a chief (if I do end up applying) for a long time. Ofc this is for my own discipline but I'm sure there are other options. 

If there's anything I've learned by this point... you're a resident now. You have your own likes and dislikes and that's not like when you're a new medical student being open to possibilities. I just can't see a successful outcome at this stage of your training if you force yourself to do something. 

Good luck regardless, 

- G

Sounds like they are an R2 in IM, planning ahead for subspec match.

18 minutes ago, GH0ST said:

Good luck regardless, 

- G

The third of those.

I agree that were I to be chief with a lack of interest in chiefing, it would be a hindrance for my co-residents and a chore for me. It just seems like the most obvious way to distinguish oneself, but if I'm being honest with myself, it isn't an opportunity I would relish.

I think your second paragraph is reassuring to me. Self-publishing editorials would be more consistent with my personality. I suppose it's a little less public, but it's something I'd enjoy doing within my discipline.

3 hours ago, anyoneelse said:

The third of those.

I agree that were I to be chief with a lack of interest in chiefing, it would be a hindrance for my co-residents and a chore for me. It just seems like the most obvious way to distinguish oneself, but if I'm being honest with myself, it isn't an opportunity I would relish.

I think your second paragraph is reassuring to me. Self-publishing editorials would be more consistent with my personality. I suppose it's a little less public, but it's something I'd enjoy doing within my discipline.

Chiefing in most programs is not really "prestigious". Most people don't want to spend their free time doing underpaid admin work. 

One school of thought is just to do whatever you need to get to where you want. If doing something you don't love is actually an important component to getting ur subspec of choice, it is probably worth it if its not too unbearable for you, since getting your subspec will change the rest of your life. If chiefing is only a slight boost to your application and may not even make a difference, don't bother doing things that take time that you don't enjoy. 

It all depends on your individual situation but i think you'll be able to figure it out. 

Another consideration is how much of the kind of work that you don't enjoy as a resident will follow you as staff (e.g., research, administrative roles, etc.). If staff are doing similarly boring tasks as you have to do as a resident in this specialty, then you either (a) have to get used to it or (b) stop considering this specialty. If it's just a hump you have to get over to "pay your dues," then I think it's worth it to achieve what you want in the end.