Premed 101 Forums

Really REALLY need some sound advice.

Hello, 

Quickly, I am 23, I am an ex-athlete starting from square one hoping to get into a Canadian medical school. I played professionally in Europe and only took 3 online university courses over 5 years and got B's in all of them, but have a bunch of withdrawals on my transcript as I didnt care at all about school during my sporting years. 

I am now starting a Bsc in september and have spent the last year redoing all my highschool sciences to freshen up on everything. Ontario resident. 

I guess my questions are:

Am I too old to just be starting first year?

Will my strange earlier transcript screw me over realistically for Ontario schools?

What should I focus on for the first two yers before I can apply?

43 minutes ago, MDplz1997 said:

Hello, 

Quickly, I am 23, I am an ex-athlete starting from square one hoping to get into a Canadian medical school. I played professionally in Europe and only took 3 online university courses over 5 years and got B's in all of them, but have a bunch of withdrawals on my transcript as I didnt care at all about school during my sporting years. 

I am now starting a Bsc in september and have spent the last year redoing all my highschool sciences to freshen up on everything. Ontario resident. 

I guess my questions are:

Am I too old to just be starting first year?

Will my strange earlier transcript screw me over realistically for Ontario schools?

What should I focus on for the first two yers before I can apply?

1. No, you’re not too old.

2. You only have about one semesters worth of courses. In the context of a full university degree, this isn’t a lot. I don’t know the ins and outs of every Ontario school’s application process, and it may be an issue at some schools, but on the whole, no I don’t believe it will completely screw you over. 

3. Focus on something that you’re interested in, that you’re motivated to do well in, and that will be a reasonable career path for you even if you don’t get into med.