Premed 101 Forums

2020-2021 Applying through AADSAS

Anyone applying to Canadian dental schools through AADSAS this year? Or anyone who has done this in previous cycles? I went to undergrad in America and I'm doing a research fellowship here, so I'm applying to Canadian and American dental schools. Does applying through AADSAS change the way you receive updates/portal access for each school? 

Also, since the cycles for Canadian and American schools are so different, does anyone have experience in juggling both? Looking through these forums it looks like most Canadian dental schools start sending out invites in January and acceptances in March? While American dental schools are sending out interview invites even now and acceptances in December? Anyone have any insight on maneuvering through both of these application processes?

9 hours ago, zdoq said:

Anyone applying to Canadian dental schools through AADSAS this year? Or anyone who has done this in previous cycles? I went to undergrad in America and I'm doing a research fellowship here, so I'm applying to Canadian and American dental schools. Does applying through AADSAS change the way you receive updates/portal access for each school? 

Also, since the cycles for Canadian and American schools are so different, does anyone have experience in juggling both? Looking through these forums it looks like most Canadian dental schools start sending out invites in January and acceptances in March? While American dental schools are sending out interview invites even now and acceptances in December? Anyone have any insight on maneuvering through both of these application processes?

I am, its been pretty convenient for me so apply for both Canadian and American schools

How long does it take for AADSAS to process the transcripts? Asking b/c I’m trying to meet the Aug 31st deadline for a school but it’s already Aug 7th and I still haven’t asked my school to mail them my grades :/. The school I’m applying for also has their own application portal system that doesn’t require jumping through AADSAS’s hoops

2 hours ago, Edo S. said:

How long does it take for AADSAS to process the transcripts? Asking b/c I’m trying to meet the Aug 31st deadline for a school but it’s already Aug 7th and I still haven’t asked my school to mail them my grades :/. The school I’m applying for also has their own application portal system that doesn’t require jumping through AADSAS’s hoops

About a couple of weeks after receipt of the transcripts usually.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:03 PM, bcbdmd said:

I am, its been pretty convenient for me so apply for both Canadian and American schools

How are you planning on juggling the differing US and Canadian timelines? What if you get accepted to US schools in December and you haven’t even interviewed for Canadian schools yet? 

4 hours ago, zdoq said:

How are you planning on juggling the differing US and Canadian timelines? What if you get accepted to US schools in December and you haven’t even interviewed for Canadian schools yet? 

You would ultimately choose one US school as your backup plan (deposit would be paid to hold the spot). Canadian interviews occur much later than the US ones. If you are accepted to a Canadian school you can accept that if that is your decision. Your spot in the US would be given to another candidate on the waitlist...

5 hours ago, zdoq said:

I would just pay the deposit for US and if I get into a Canadian school, I am willing to take the loss of deposit as long as I get into a Canadian school. I have already submitted all my applications so its not really much to juggle right now. Also, I do believe schools like UBC now have interviews in October