Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisite Questions; BBA to MD transition

Hi everybody,

So I'm in my last semester of my BBA undergrad and I've decided to switch to medicine. I'm looking at Ontario med schools in particular. I didn't take any science classes during my degree so I'm going back in the fall to get the right prerequisites. (bonus function of these courses: my GPA is a 3.6 or [9.7 on 12 pt. scale] and this could be a way to focus on my grades and boost it) 

I've got my humanities credits covered with econ, languages, and other random electives but I have about 6-8 science courses I'll need (depending on if they're lab based or not) and some of them are prerequisites for one another. (ex. I'll need an organic chem credit, which requires Intro Chem 2, which requires Intro Chem 1). This isn't a big deal for me, I could focus on my MCAT studying or strengthening extracurriculars during this time.

I think I'll need at least 3 semesters to complete the credits I need. What I'm concerned about is that some med schools want to see a full course load of 5 classes/semester and two full semesters per year (ex. Western for their GPA calculation).

I'd rather not spend too much time with electives that aren't going to give me the pre-reqs I need but I also don't want to rush difficult science classes (like biochem, org chem, etc.) at the same time and let my GPA fall any more.

Is there a creative way to work around these variables? Maybe there's a compromise I can get away with? Or am I just going to have to buckle down and take a full two years, electives and all?

Thank you!!

-Aaron

Consider applying only to McMaster first without having any science prereqs / taking only CARS on the MCAT.  This is assuming that you'll do decently well on the CARS section.

But one factor to consider - doing some of the science courses / doing some volunteer/work in the healthcare field can give you a somewhat better sense whether medicine might be the right fit for you!   The world of business is quite different than healthcare/medicine.  I made the same jump and it can be quite eye-opening!

21 hours ago, EmDeee said:

Hi everybody,

So I'm in my last semester of my BBA undergrad and I've decided to switch to medicine. I'm looking at Ontario med schools in particular. I didn't take any science classes during my degree so I'm going back in the fall to get the right prerequisites. (bonus function of these courses: my GPA is a 3.6 or [9.7 on 12 pt. scale] and this could be a way to focus on my grades and boost it) 

I've got my humanities credits covered with econ, languages, and other random electives but I have about 6-8 science courses I'll need (depending on if they're lab based or not) and some of them are prerequisites for one another. (ex. I'll need an organic chem credit, which requires Intro Chem 2, which requires Intro Chem 1). This isn't a big deal for me, I could focus on my MCAT studying or strengthening extracurriculars during this time.

I think I'll need at least 3 semesters to complete the credits I need. What I'm concerned about is that some med schools want to see a full course load of 5 classes/semester and two full semesters per year (ex. Western for their GPA calculation).

I'd rather not spend too much time with electives that aren't going to give me the pre-reqs I need but I also don't want to rush difficult science classes (like biochem, org chem, etc.) at the same time and let my GPA fall any more.

Is there a creative way to work around these variables? Maybe there's a compromise I can get away with? Or am I just going to have to buckle down and take a full two years, electives and all?

Thank you!!

-Aaron

Western can be extremely tough and rigid with their policies. If you're pursuing extra courses as a second degree, your first degree is pretty much discarded and you have to do 2 full courseload years with 3/5 courses at 3rd year level or above - so I'm gonna say it's a no-go unless you take the full two years at full course load with electives and 60% of your courses must be at >=3rd year level. However, if you're simply "extending" your degree to take more courses, you might want to do the full two years at appropriate course levels and maintain >=3.7 for those two years so you can apply to Western.

UofT will give a tiny bit advantage with their wGPA calculation if you do all of your years at full course load. But if your BBA undergrad already has a year where you don't do so, then you're ineligible for wGPA and you can just apply with your cGPA (course load is irrelevant in this case).

Queen's and McMaster might be your best shots since Queen's looks at your most recent 2 years and McMaster doesn't really care. But your current GPA is quite low and you need to raise it to at least 3.7-3.8 to be competitive, pending a good CARS score and CASPer.

Ottawa will be hard too since their cut-off for GPA has been 3.85 for some time now, but they only look at your most recent 3 full-time years (of >= 8 courses/year) so if you manage to get anywhere close to that, it might be worth a shot too.

22 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

Western can be extremely tough and rigid with their policies. If you're pursuing extra courses as a second degree, your first degree is pretty much discarded and you have to do 2 full courseload years with 3/5 courses at 3rd year level or above - so I'm gonna say it's a no-go unless you take the full two years at full course load with electives and 60% of your courses must be at >=3rd year level. However, if you're simply "extending" your degree to take more courses, you might want to do the full two years at appropriate course levels and maintain >=3.7 for those two years so you can apply to Western.

UofT will give a tiny bit advantage with their wGPA calculation if you do all of your years at full course load. But if your BBA undergrad already has a year where you don't do so, then you're ineligible for wGPA and you can just apply with your cGPA (course load is irrelevant in this case).

Queen's and McMaster might be your best shots since Queen's looks at your most recent 2 years and McMaster doesn't really care. But your current GPA is quite low and you need to raise it to at least 3.7-3.8 to be competitive, pending a good CARS score and CASPer.

Ottawa will be hard too since their cut-off for GPA has been 3.85 for some time now, but they only look at your most recent 3 full-time years (of >= 8 courses/year) so if you manage to get anywhere close to that, it might be worth a shot too.

This is great feedback, Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/27/2020 at 3:09 PM, westernmed888 said:

I did a BA for my undergrad and then went back for two years part time to take science prerequisites (not a full course load). I’m starting this year at western Med so feel free to message me with any questions! 

Hi there, not sure if you still check this forum, but I did BBA for undergrad and currently doing part time to take science pre requisites. Is it alright to seek some insights on what you have done to get acceptances and some general advice?